Start up Sound

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 (2015) Intel Core i5 Processor Speed: 3.3 GHz Total Number of Cores: 4 Memory: 12 GB
Hi, how can I stop the annoying start up sound on my Imac? it is driving me nuts:(

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The startup chime is controlled by the master volume settings. So, the easiest thing to do is to just mute the machine before you turn it off.

But barring that, a quick Google search found this utility:

Turn off/mute/disable your Mac

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 (2015) Intel Core i5 Processor Speed: 3.3 GHz Total Number of Cores: 4 Memory: 12 GB
The startup chime is controlled by the master volume settings. So, the easiest thing to do is to just mute the machine before you turn it off.

But barring that, a quick Google search found this utility:

Turn off/mute/disable your Mac

Many thanks, thanks for the info I was able to sorted it now:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sept. '07 white 13" MacBook 8,2 - 10.7.5
I use that very utility, and I can tell you that the start up chime will still sound off about 1 out of five times for no apparent reason, even though when I check the setting, the start up volume is down. I just about go through the roof when it does.

We bought my wife a used laptop off of ebay identical to mine that does not have that utility, yet has never sounded off the start up chime even once. I'd love to know what the guy did to it, but I don't know how to find out. I know that there is a better way to shut off the noise than this start up volume control that likes to fail at the most inopportune times. I've looked and looked and can't find it. I'm still looking.

Any other ideas I haven't been able to find?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've been using the Arcana Startup Preference Pane since Leopard and it has yet to fail to mute or control the sound. What is strange is that the author stated it wouldn't work with Lion, but it does.

I don't know of any other utility that will do the same. Are you sure it isn't installed on your wife's machine? Did you check System Preferences, other?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just checked my wife's laptop and I don't see the Arcana Startup preference pane. It must be something else on hers that is killing the sound. But since that works so well for you, where can I find it?

I read something in a magazine a long time ago about how something in the firmware could be changed to get rid of the sound, but I long ago forgot what that was or how to do it or where to get it. I always figured that when I came to want it, I could find it by searching, but I've never been able to turn it up.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use that very utility, and I can tell you that the start up chime will still sound off about 1 out of five times for no apparent reason, even though when I check the setting, the start up volume is down. I just about go through the roof when it does.

We bought my wife a used laptop off of ebay identical to mine that does not have that utility, yet has never sounded off the start up chime even once. I'd love to know what the guy did to it, but I don't know how to find out. I know that there is a better way to shut off the noise than this start up volume control that likes to fail at the most inopportune times. I've looked and looked and can't find it. I'm still looking.

Any other ideas I haven't been able to find?

I am using that small program and so far so good:Cool:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It must be something else on hers that is killing the sound. But since that works so well for you, where can I find it?

Go to the link provided in post number 2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's what I already have that fails one out of five times. My wife's laptop does not have that yet hers never sounds off. She apparently has something else that works a lot better. I'm still looking for other ideas.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you using Lion? As I said above, the author states it does not work with Lion although it is working OK for me on two machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Neither my wife nor I have Lion. We both have 10.6.8.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It should work OK with Snow Leopard. There must be something else going on that's causing it to fail like that - even intermittently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Should, but doesn't. How can I go about diagnosing it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.