Help...Macbook keeps freezing

Reaction score
We were given a macbook from a family member- it is about 8 yrs old.

They attempted to upgrade to snow leopard but could not because of the memory available. We added 1 gb of memory and were able to add snow leopard, we thought everything was good but then our system kept freezing up or just shutting down on its own.

We do not have the original system disk. I attempted to complete the single member FSCK- YF but that completely shut down our hard drive.

Finally we decided to just purchase a new 250gb hard drive- (we did back up on a external hard drive we had) and another 1gb of ram.

So the computer now has a brand new 250 gb hard drive and 2 gb of memory - and it still freezes.

Does anyone have any idea what we are doing wrong or what we can do?

We are completely new to MAC's in general- and I just cannot understand after rebuilding the computer it would still not work.

I also noticed that our hard drive does not show up on our desktop-

Since I am completely clueless to and would rather not pay someone money to fix it. I am coming here for advice or suggestions. If I have to i will take it to a computer tech but I just don't want to pay someone $100's of dollars if its simple.

Thanks I would really appreciate any help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
We were given a macbook from a family member- it is about 8 yrs old.

Can't be 8 years old...the first MacBook's were released in 2006. It truly may be a MacBook...but it's not 8 years old.;)

Need exact model info to answer questions accurately.:)

We do not have the original system disk. I attempted to complete the single member FSCK- YF but that completely shut down our hard drive.

Finally we decided to just purchase a new 250gb hard drive- (we did back up on a external hard drive we had) and another 1gb of ram.

So the computer now has a brand new 250 gb hard drive and 2 gb of memory - and it still freezes.

If you don't have the "system discs"...how did you install an operating system on that new 250gig hard drive?

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Model #

sorry- I was estimating how old. I believe it must be from 06 or 07.

We dont have the receipt or anything to provide the model number- I would be guessing.

do you know where I can find this if it was not registered? I tried placing our serial number in online.

when I look up the specs it indicates
2.0 intel duo core
2 gbs ram

I know it originally only had 2, .25gb in it. I believe it may be a first gen or next one.

We do have the original Snow Leopard disk- can I repair from that one?

Hope this Helps. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.