Do I have to partition my hard drive?

Reaction score
My friend kindly formatted my hard drive for Windows and put 200 GB of movies onto it, which I do NOT want to lose. But I also want to use the hard drive to back up my pictures and music from my macbook.

There isn't enough space on my macbook to save the films and reformat the hard drive. I live in a country where macs aren't common and I don't know anyone who can help me by copying my films into their mac while I format my drive.

Is partitioning the hard drive the answer? If so, how do I do it? I only watch the films on my TV and don't use the hard drive normally with my computer.
Thanks!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is this an external hard drive? How is it formatted and how large a drive is it? How is the drive formatted? FaT32? NTFS?

If you partition you will destroy everything on that drive so don't do that.

OP
M
Reaction score
Oops, yes, it's an external hard drive.

I tried to figure out how it was formatted, but couldn't. How can I find out? (Besides asking my friend, who is now in China I think!)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.