dark black patches on the screen of my Macbookpro

Reaction score
Hi,

I am having mac book pro 17 inch early 2008 model. recently i faced an issue on my macbookpro screen getting black patches on top corners and its getting bigger day by day.. i think the patches are outer layer of the LCD screen. please help me in this issue as i cant go to apple care as my warranty got expired.. i really looking for a economic feasible solution for this..

Looking for your support and reply...

Suresh

Photo0359.jpg

Photo0346.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi,
This can be a defective screen:(..however...

Does the issue appear/disappear when you open/close the lid? This could be a defective cable.

Check your brightness settings in System Prefs/Displays.

Also trying running the Visualizer in iTunes or a screen saver for a couple of hours or so. Turn off any screen relevant energy saving settings before you do this. Pixels are prone to going to sleep and can be revitalised this way.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let's do some testing: Take a screenshot of your desktop... observe the screenshot. Do the black splotches show up on the screenshot? If they do, it may be graphics related. (GPU) If they don't, it's likely the LCD itself that's the problem. Post back results.

OP
S
Reaction score
I tried screen settings.. but it didn't give any positive symptoms of removing those black patches.. As chscag suggested, i have taken the screenshot of my macbookpro (Attached below).. positively in screenshot, those black patches are not appearing. so it may be the issue related with outer layer of the LCD screen. i don know whether can i able to only replace outer layer of the screen? if that's possible, can anyone pls tel what could be the price for it?

Screen%252520shot%2525202011-11-14%252520at%25252011.38.14%252520AM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The entire screen will have to be replaced. Try the folks at iResQ as they come highly recommended by several of our members. They also have an 800 toll free number which you can call and speak to a live person.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.