do not have enough access privileges

Reaction score
So my cats were hopping around on my laptop one day and I think they messed up my computer.

I can no longer create a folder on my desktop. It gives me the message "The operation could not be completed because you do not have enough access privileges"

Also, when I try to move an item to the desktop it says..." The item "movie.avi" could not be moved because "desktop" cannot be modified"
I then have the option to Authenticate of cancel.

I've tried repairing permissions. no luck.
I've tried the "get info" sharing & permissions... which... I'm in administrator, but directly below Sharing & Permissions: "YOU CAN ONLY READ" Then there is the list under Name and Privilege... Which it won't allow me to change.

Not sure at all what to try next. I've searched some things online, but I'm not very computer literate, and don't want to do the wrong thing and really mess up my computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Did you restart?

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes I've restarted it several times.

I just figured it out.... In the Get Info part of my Desktop... in General Information near the top, the LOCKED box was clicked off preventing me to do anything to my desktop I guess. Unclicked it, and voila.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.