something is wrong...

Reaction score
so i got this mac from my divorce my husband used to do all the maint. on it and now of course it is giving me problems. sometimes when i stop using it for a period of time....few hours...overnight...most recently after a few minutes it went to sleep and when i go to move the mouse it puts a trail of grey all over the screen...then half of my admin password screen pops up. not all of it though just the upper right corner to the center...it is also grey. i cannot do anything about it but just shut it down with the power button. i cant command Q to shut my window NOTHING. it just continues to put grey all over my screen where ever i move the mouse. dont want to go to the apple store just yet if any of you geniuses out there can help me.

be kind and talk to me like im a small child i beg...i am a complete moron with this stuff...

julpey

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Do you have the install discs for the OS?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
no i do not. :-(

You didn't say which Macintosh computer you have (which is almost always VERY important when asking a question)...but if it has an Intel cpu...just get yourself a $29 dollar Snow Leopard install disk:

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

- back up any important files
- boot from the install disk
- wipe the hard drive
- install a fresh copy of 10.6 Snow Leopard

...and you're good to go (assuming there are no hardware issues, and that the problems are software related).:)

- Nick

p.s. There could be other ways to approach this issue...but considering the whole "husband/divorce" issue (and not knowing how he had the computer setup or how he used the computer)...starting from scratch is best!:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i have Mac OS X 10.7.2. i might be able to get it thank you .

Ohh...ok...10.7.2 is the latest OS. But the same advice holds. If you're having problems with this computer...and you don't know exactly what programs your ex-husband installed on it or how he used it...it may be best to wipe the hard drive & install a fresh copy of the OS.

Of course backing up any important files first (word processing files, spreadsheet files, videos, music, photos, etc.).

Hopefully you have a copy of OS 10.7 on disk...if not...you will have to download it again from the Mac App Store. If your ex-husband did the install originally...and you don't know his "Mac Store ID"...then you may have to pay $29 again to download it...and "burn" a copy of it to CD/DVD BEFORE doing the fresh install of 10.7.

HTH,

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i have Mac OS X 10.7.2. i might be able to get it thank you .

You don't need a disc at all. Your system has a Recovery partition that you can use to do a clean install. Remember to backup first, but when you're ready, you can access Recovery options by turning the machine off, turn it back on and immediately press and hold "Command + R". The machine will boot to the recovery options window, where you can use Disk Utility to format the system partition and then opt to do a clean install.

Again, remember to backup first!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.