MacBook 13" Aluminium unibody screen problems..

Reaction score
Hey,

For some time now I've had problems with my MacBooks screen which is beginning to get worse.

For at least four months I've had a flickering horizontal line across the lower half of my screen (see pic) and for two of those months I could tilt the screen back and forth to get rid of it.

Now it's there permanently and the only way it'll disappear is when I hold the screen with moderate force, however it's been bearable. But over the last couple of days the screen has been flashing purple upon startup and now the whole screen has a pink/ purple tint.

The problem doesn't end there though, sometimes even though I can boot my MacBook up the screen will stay black and will end up rebooting itself. The last boot up attempted the white loading screen came up, everything seemed to be working and then a black error log appeared on the left side of the screen.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance :)

My graphics card is a: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

There hasn't been any water damage and the laptop is always in a dry room.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
About all I know, it's going to be a hardware problem. Whether the video card, LCD, cable... don't know.

OP
Z
Reaction score
About all I know, it's going to be a hardware problem. Whether the video card, LCD, cable... don't know.

Thanks, does anybody else have similar experience where they can pinpoint near enough what the problem can be?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just my initial guess would be the cable with your being able to tilt the screen back and forth initially to get rid of the line in the screen. A tint being cast over the whole screen like that is almost always the cable or bent pins when dealing with external monitors. I'd probably head to ifixit.com and give that a try if it were mine - but have to say, I'm not a notebook hardware tech.

Should be someone online later to confirm or correct my supposition.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with bobtomay. It's likely the cable which is being pinched or being slightly pulled from its connector when you open and close the lid. Like he suggested, go to iFixit: The free repair manual and take a look at the procedure for swapping out the LVDS cable. That particular cable generally sells for around $30 or so.

OP
Z
Reaction score
I agree with bobtomay. It's likely the cable which is being pinched or being slightly pulled from its connector when you open and close the lid. Like he suggested, go to iFixit: The free repair manual and take a look at the procedure for swapping out the LVDS cable. That particular cable generally sells for around $30 or so.

Ah brilliant thanks! The purple tint has gone now (probably not for long though) - I'll look into purchasing that cable. Thanks again, both of you :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.