iphone as a voip phone only

Reaction score
HI, I have an older 3G iPhone and I have been considering dumping the AT&T service, due to the high price. What I have been considering is trying to set up my iPhone as a VOIP phone only that works when I am in WiFi range. It seems to me that 90% of my calls occur when I could be using VOIP. Unfortunately in my search, the various options all require a phone number to send or receive calls (which of course if you give up your service you would not have). Here is what I believe that a service would have to do.

1) Make out going calls
2) Ring the iPhone for incoming calls (this has proven to be a problem)
3) have a voice mail
4) Be able to send and receive text messages.
5) Call quality needs to be ok.

I am happy to pay a bit for the service, I have seen there are ways to do it for free, and I have tried several suggestions but I have not been able to get any of them to work. The 3G phone, might not be fast enough to really work with some of the programs (it is a dog compared to the new hardware), I would be willing to buy a new iPod if that was the solution. Interested in anyone who has tried this and pulled it off. thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
You might want to check out Skype.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah, I have played around with Skype, unfortunately it is really buggy right now and needs an update. Also, I think my 3G phone is generally to slow to make Skype work well. I may be out of luck until I get some new hardware.

Appreciate any other thoughts if anyone has had any success with an older iPhone and VOIP. Thanks,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.