select print

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you asking how to select a printer? If so, there is a dropdown box at the top of the print dialog:

printer_dialog.png

Each dialog is slightly different but they all have that printer option at the top.

OP
P
Reaction score
Are you asking how to select a printer? If so, there is a dropdown box at the top of the print dialog:

View attachment 16196

Each dialog is slightly different but they all have that printer option at the top.

No I know how to select a printer. What I want to do is go to say a web page and select part of the information to print. On a PC they allow you to select data (by highlighting it) and then when you want to print there is an additional choice to select print. That is all I want to be able to do

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Schubert|it Free Stuff - Install the Print Selection Service. Alternatively, if you use Firefox, there is a "Print Selection Only" checkbox if you click "Show Details."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
If you use Safari >Services>Text Edit > New Window Containing Selection
Now when you highlight the selected area right click and it will be one of your options
then hit print.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
If you use Safari >Services>Text Edit > New Window Containing Selection
Now when you highlight the selected area right click and it will be one of your options
then hit print.

Excellent tip. Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And if you don't have that option - I didn't - select the Services Preferences option at the bottom to add it to your Services menu.

Nice one - I need to spend more time with Lion checking out all the stuff that's here.

I'm still rather upset about 'Save As' having gone missing. I use(d) that all the time to make changes in an existing file and want it saved with a new name. That one little change has put OS X totally out of my mind as a possible OS for any of my work machines.

Reaction score
select print area

Sorry but none of the above suggestions works. Some don't even make any sense to me.

I use Safari and I want to print part of a page. I don't have those options under services and don't know how to add a service. Can someone explain in simple terms?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Sorry but none of the above suggestions works. Some don't even make any sense to me.

I use Safari and I want to print part of a page. I don't have those options under services and don't know how to add a service. Can someone explain in simple terms?

I am using Safari 5.1.2 with Lion you did not state what version you are using.

C

chas_m

I'm still rather upset about 'Save As' having gone missing.

Don't be, it's still there. It's just changed its name to "Duplicate."

OLD WAY:

1. Opened up an old (let's say slideshow for example) in Keynote. Made changes. Forgot to "Save As" and hit Save instead. Curse. Throw new version away. Use Time Machine to retrieve previous version. Start over.

OR, if you're very lucky and mindful:

2. Opened up old document. BEFORE making changes, REMEMBERED to do a "Save As." Give file new name and maybe new save location. Made changes and saved normally.

NEW WAY:

1. Open old document. Try to make changes. OS reminds you that the document is locked. Hit "Duplicate." Close old version. Choose "Save" and change name. Keep working and saving normally (actually it auto-saves after that, so you don't NEED to re-save, but you do out of habit anyway).

So, bottom line: in exchange for ONE extra step (duplicate then save/rename), I gain the INABILITY to EVER overwrite my original document by accident, plus auto-save, plus versioning.

Personally, I think that's a trade-UP, and it took me all of a couple of minutes to get used to it. What annoys me now is not every program works this way and so I have to remember to save manually, which now seems ridiculous.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.