Open Terminal at Specific Directory

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was just wondering, I started using Terminal quite often as of late, and I want it to open in a specific folder. I went to preferences and entered the path that I wanted to open with, but I get a "Permissions Denied" and then "Process Completed". I am the admin so I should have permission.

I did a Google search and it said that I can change the settings under Keyboard->Services and checking the "New Terminal at Folder" checkbox. It says that it is under Lion though and I am using Snow Leopard. Is there a way to enable this?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You may get permission denied errors because admin is not the same as root. If the directory is outside of your user directory, you will likely run into issues. That said, you should still be able to read them. What directory are you trying to have Terminal default to when it opens?

I just told Terminal to execute cd / at startup and it worked fine. To do this, go to Terminal > Preferences > Settings > click the default configuration > Shell > check run command and enter cd <directory of your choosing>.

OP
C
Reaction score
You may get permission denied errors because admin is not the same as root. If the directory is outside of your user directory, you will likely run into issues. That said, you should still be able to read them. What directory are you trying to have Terminal default to when it opens?

I just told Terminal to execute cd / at startup and it worked fine. To do this, go to Terminal > Preferences > Settings > click the default configuration > Shell > check run command and enter cd <directory of your choosing>.

Nice. It works now. I was entering the path under the startup window in preferences not the settings, which makes complete sense now cause that has to do with logins which explains the permissions error.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.