Mini testimonials

T

twotone

My friend is in the market for a new computer. His 5 yr. old Gateway has bit the dust. He isn't what I would call real computer "savy". I said why don't you consider a Mac? He said that he doesn't want to spend a lot of $$. I said a "mini" would be perfect for you. All he really needs is a word processor, an application to balance his check book, play and burn cd's and surf. He has young children so I know that iPhoto and iMovie would blow his mind up.
So the question is; will the basic $499 mac mini serve his needs? Does the basic burn cd's?
Thanks

Reaction score
twotone said:
So the question is; will the basic $499 mac mini serve his needs? Does the basic burn cd's?

Most likely, and Yes

Wouldn't hurt to have him look at one, show him Quicken and iTunes, but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes with a PC since they tend to seem like a better deal if you don't value OS X.

Reaction score
If he's not into OS X, then he can get a Dell 2.4ghz, 15" LCD, and the works for the same price. Good luck trying to talk him into it. Macs are expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
Okay here is the things that sold me to getting the mini (I had been a PC person before that).

1. No need to run ad-aware or any other spyware program
2. No need to run Norton or Mcafee in the background
3. No more windows crashing, and the simpleness of OSX
4. All the programs I use on XP, are available, or there is an alternative for OSX
5. They look so cool
6. Already had a keyboard, monitor, and mouse, so why waste money buying new ones
7. Upgrading the memory is not hard at all, all you need is a putty knife, and patience
8. THE BEST PART ABOUT THE MINI, IS THAT MY COMPUTER STUPID WIFE CAN USE IT AND NOT GET PISSED OFF AT ALL.

Reaction score
hondagus87 said:
Okay here is the things that sold me to getting the mini (I had been a PC person before that).

1. No need to run ad-aware or any other spyware program
2. No need to run Norton or Mcafee in the background
3. No more windows crashing, and the simpleness of OSX
4. All the programs I use on XP, are available, or there is an alternative for OSX
5. They look so cool
6. Already had a keyboard, monitor, and mouse, so why waste money buying new ones
7. Upgrading the memory is not hard at all, all you need is a putty knife, and patience
8. THE BEST PART ABOUT THE MINI, IS THAT MY COMPUTER STUPID WIFE CAN USE IT AND NOT GET PISSED OFF AT ALL.

1-3. A lot of PC users don't have those issues.
4. Valid point, but no reason to switch
5. Thats so true and very quiet also.
6. Now having to buy a new monitor is a plus if you have an old one that works. I would invest in an Apple keyboard though, they are nice.
7. Its just as easy on a PC.
8. ~

OP
H

hangtown

Take him down to the apple store and let him play with OSX. I don't have to tell you guys how nice it is in many ways compared to XP. Don't get me wrong, I actually like XP, but I did just buy a mac mini for a reason. For personal and "media" type use, I think I'll enjoy the mac better.

I think it's a great addition to a home network with PC's. For what he wants it would probably be fine as a primary computer as well. But personally I think if he's still using the same monitor he got with his 5 year old Gateway, he should just scrap it all and get an 20" iMac though. :p

OP
U

UncSki1218

yeah it will have all of the apps he needs. quicken comes with it. that will cover his checkbook. itunes, safari, and textedit or appleworks will cover the rest.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.