How do I find all the pictures my MacBook Pro has taken?

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2008 MacBook Pro, with version 10.6.8,
It has a built in camera, and every so often I hear the
cameran "click". I assume this is the camera, but I really don't
know what it is.

It does not happen at any certain time. Sometimes I will hear it
click from across the room, when it is on but I am not
working on it.

So, my question is, if the camera is taking pictures, where
would I be able to find all of the pictures that the built in camera has
taken?

Thank you

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The iSight camera should not be taking pictures unless you direct it to do so or someone is controlling your computer remotely. The "click" you hear may be your hard drive making noise or perhaps a sometimes noisy fan. Any photos you do take should be in your user pictures folder.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yes, this doesn't happen for no reason. What applications do you have open? Who has access to your machine? Is the green light to the right of the camera on?

The location of these pictures will depend on what application is taking them. If you don't know, you can create a smart folder to view all the pictures on your machine. You can sort this by date to see what was most recently taken.

1. In Finder, go to File > New Smart Folder.
2. Click the '+' to the right of the 'Save' button.
3. Change the values of the dropdown boxes such that it reads like the following: 'Kind is Image All'
4. Sort the results by 'Date Created' (if this isn't there, right click the column headers and add 'Date Created').

Do you see any weird pictures?

OP
K
Reaction score
The iSight camera should not be taking pictures unless you direct it to do so or someone is controlling your computer remotely. The "click" you hear may be your hard drive making noise or perhaps a sometimes noisy fan. Any photos you do take should be in your user pictures folder.

This is what I was curious about, is someone controlling my computer. I looked in iPhoto and there is nothing new, so I guess the click is something else. Like you say, maybe the hard drive.

That you for responding to my question.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just to be sure do you have photo booth in your dock? Open it and see there are any pictures there.

C

chas_m

If you've installed any security software -- or if you bought this machine from a dodgy source -- that could be the explanation.

OP
K
Reaction score
vansmith: When I get to step 4, I right click, but there is no menu displayed. I have clicked on view in the tool bar, and I can see "Date Created" but it is not selectable.

dtravos: I opened photo booth, (it was not in my dock) and it is empty.

Chas m: I bought this computer new in 2008 from the Apple store, my warranty expired last month, Oct 11, and it was just into the Apple store in that same month for a separate issue. They ran a diagnostic on the computer, all was OK.

Thank you every one for you helping me with this. I will check the date created as vansmith suggests, as soon as I can figure out how to.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You need to right click the column headers - the menu will show up when you do. In case that's confusing, here's a visual:

right_click_column.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.