• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple launches 1st generation iPod nano replacement program

Reaction score
Apple launches 1st generation iPod nano replacement program

1112ipodreplace.jpg

Apple has sent out emails to registered owners of 1st generation iPod nanos stating that certain iPod nanos created between September 2005 and January 2006 might overheat and pose a safety risk. This is because of a manufacturing defect from a single supplier, and the likelihood of problems increases as the model ages. Apple then directs the owner to a replacement program.

There have been some cases of the iPod nano's battery overheating in the past, and while a search on Apple's support site turns up a document, the link is currently not active. The issue turned up previously in 2009, and the Japanese government said in 2008 that three fires were caused in Japan from faulty 1st-generation nano batteries, and that Apple had two other reported cases where people were burned by their iPod nanos.

For those wondering if the emails they received are legitimate, a link to the replacement program can be found directly from Apple's support site for earlier models of the iPod nano and Apple's exchange and repair extension program.

The full email text can be read below.

Show full PR text
Dear iPod nano owner,

Apple has determined that, in very rare cases, the battery in the iPod nano (1st generation) may overheat and pose a safety risk. Affected iPod nanos were sold between September 2005 and December 2006.

This issue has been traced to a single battery supplier that produced batteries with a manufacturing defect. While the possibility of an incident is rare, the likelihood increases as the battery ages.

Apple recommends that you stop using your iPod nano (1st gen) and follow the process noted below to order a replacement unit, free of charge.

Note: This battery issue is specific to the iPod nano (1st gen) and does not affect any other iPod.

Replacement Process

You may order a replacement unit via the web. Click here to begin.

Your iPod nano serial number will be checked to verify that it is eligible for this program. You will receive a replacement unit approximately 6 weeks after we receive your current iPod nano (1st gen).

If you have a personalized iPod nano, you will receive a non-personalized replacement. Make sure to use iTunes to back up any data on your current iPod nano before sending it in for a replacement unit.

Additional Information

Identifying an iPod nano (1st gen):

o. It has a black or white plastic front and a silver metal back - later iPod nano models have a metal front and back.

If you need assistance with placing an order, please visit an Apple Retail Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) and bring your iPod nano with you for serial number validation.

Your replacement iPod product is warranted to be free from defects for 90 days from the date of service.

Thank you for participating in this program.

Sincerely,

Apple

Apple launches 1st generation iPod nano replacement program originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Sat, 12 Nov 2011 03:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I checked to see, if my iPod Nano qualified... and it did! I can't wait to get a new iPod nano; I'm glad I didn't feel the need to buy another iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Same here. I have 2x 1st generation 2GB Nanos eligible for replacement. I use them quite a bit, even still. It will be nice to get a refresh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
Same here. I have 2x 1st generation 2GB Nanos eligible for replacement. I use them quite a bit, even still. It will be nice to get a refresh.

I have two 4gb going back as well. Just saw a post elsewhere showing the original price at $249.00 OUCH.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
No replacement for me. I have the 2nd Gen Nano. :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Apple is sending me a box to ship it back. I will miss that old Nano as it fits in my Levi pocket, but I am pretty sure they will send a new Nano and that should be nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone read anywhere what the replacement program entails? What I mean, do we get refurbished 1st generation Nanos of similar storage capacity and and color? Or do we get some newer generation? Personally, I'm happy with my original and am not sure I necessarily want an "upgrade". These 1st generations are freaking indestructible.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Anyone read anywhere what the replacement program entails? What I mean, do we get refurbished 1st generation Nanos of similar storage capacity and and color? Or do we get some newer generation? Personally, I'm happy with my original and am not sure I necessarily want an "upgrade". These 1st generations are freaking indestructible.

Except they can potential catch on fire and burn down your house. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Curious to see as to which model the "replacement" will be coming in for people. I guess it would be cool to get a new one, but I like the original nanos. If mine were still ticking like a clock after 5 years, I wouldn't bother sending it in...unless Apple believe 5-6 years is the time frame for which the batteries start exploding. That might be a problem.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I love the 1st Gen Nano also but mine does need a new battery. It gets hot and will not hold a charge. Been that way for a while. I could get another battery but lets see what apple does.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Confirmed: Apple to Replace Defective 1st-Generation iPod Nanos With 1st-Generation Units

It was too good to be true. Apple is replacing the 1st gen iPod nano with the same 1st gen. Oh well, I still like my nano, so it'll be nice to get a new battery. I just hope, if I'm getting a refurbished, it doesn't look too used.

But if you look at the comment section of the article, a commenter mentions that they could see Apple eventually allowing people to exchange up to the current gen of nanos to be on people's good graces. Now I wonder, if I should wait a month and see, if there is a backlash... :\

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iWhat, that is what I found last night also. I do need a new battery as mine never was that good and probably one of the bad ones. I HOPE what they send me is at least mint. Mine is basically in perfect shape.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I have a 2GB and a 4GB. Very hard to read the Serial Numbers, but both of them qualify for replacement.

Wonder what they will supply in exchange - old stock or newer models?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Refurbished models of the same generation as what you tern in.

I was afraid that might be the case. Non-faulty batteries though I hope :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone get their return shipment box(es) yet? Just curious if anyone has any info.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They said 2 or 3 days. I think it's been 2 business days. Not yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATED: Return box #1 of 2 arrived today.

ETA: I received the box from Apple to return my "old" Nano. I din't not receive a replacement Nano because I only just now received the box from Apple to return the original Nano. Sorry for any confusion.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.