Help with purchase decision

J

jedy

Need some advice.

What with the Intel chip due sometime within the next year, is it wise to buy a 14" iBook now?

Also, I'd use the laptop for (amongst other things) web coding. I was wondering, although it'd be fairly slow, could a 14" iBook run Photoshop (to design web graphics). Is the 14" 1024x768 res too small for Photoshop?

OP
L

lil

Using search type intel and ibook or intel and mac.

That said, how could Photoshop be slow? With enough memory it will fly on an iBook. As for the 1024x768 too small, doubtful, you'll just have to pan around the image more, but if you're doing web graphics they will tend to be smaller (say 72dpi or so) than print based images (300dpi +) so you won't find it limiting IMO.

You can hardly call a G4 1.42GHz slow TBH, OK not great for games or the most demanding stuff but it is still a powerful CPU. The work I do on my PowerBook 12" blows my mind away even! :flower:

Hope this helps, the intel and mac issue has been done to death and searching will avail some excellent answers.

Vicky

Reaction score
lil said:
Using search type intel and ibook or intel and mac.

That said, how could Photoshop be slow? With enough memory it will fly on an iBook. As for the 1024x768 too small, doubtful, you'll just have to pan around the image more, but if you're doing web graphics they will tend to be smaller (say 72dpi or so) than print based images (300dpi +) so you won't find it limiting IMO.

You can hardly call a G4 1.42GHz slow TBH, OK not great for games or the most demanding stuff but it is still a powerful CPU. The work I do on my PowerBook 12" blows my mind away even! :flower:

Hope this helps, the intel and mac issue has been done to death and searching will avail some excellent answers.

Vicky

the intel chip is coming out in 2006, if you can wait that long without it, dont. Just get the iBook now, all the stuff wil happen u have mentioned so just go for it,

good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
about the photoshop, it will run it fine!! My old Powermac 6500 even runs in. your ibook will wizz threw it.(the more ram the better, u might consider adding more. But who knows, when the intels come out maybe the standard might be 1 gb)

OP
J

jedy

Thanks for all the advice guys! Think I might just bite the bullet and purchase one.

I'd love a Powerbook but would rather wait for the intel version, which could come as late as 2007, which is why I thought of the ibook as it's cheaper and I need to be mobile sooner than that. As for Photoshop, most computers I've used in the past (mainly PC's) with it have been fairly slow so just needed to doubble check. More ram is already on my list!

OP
L

lil

Getting an iBook for a couple of years for the intel PowerBooks to show up and mature sounds like the words of wisdom :flower: I'd agree with that.

As macEfan says, Photoshop given RAM isn't what you could call slow on the Mac, I have a Power Macintosh 8500 with a G3 333MHz and Photoshop 5 and 7 on it; works really very well indeed.

I love using my Macs for Photoshop and Painter work, they feel perfectly at home on them, after all, the Mac was designed to inspire and allow creativity!

Vicky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.