Fusion 4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook 2.4G/iPhone4/2xATV2/TC
I have a late 2008 MacBook and recently purchased Fusion 4 for various reasons. Upon installing both Fusion and W7, my computer began to operate as if to be a PC with an overloaded hard drive...slow! I was not sure why until I read that Fusion is a 64 bit app.

Is this true?

My computer is not structured to switch between 32 and 64 bit kernal. Is there a way to install Fusion and W7 on my computer so that it runs normally?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
I don't understand how your computer is not structured to switch between 32 and 64 bit kernel, but this article shows you how you can boot into 64-bit kernel mode instead, which should eliminate any 32 vs 64 bit problems you might be facing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
How much ram are you running ?
How much is allocated to W7 ?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There is no need to concern yourself with switching between the 64-bit and 32-bit kernel. Fusion will run as it needs to without your intervention.

Most likely the issue is that you've allocated too much memory to the VM, given your Mac's memory configuration. For example, if you have 2GB and allocate 1GB to the VM, that can starve the host (your Mac) and cause the entire machine to run slow.

OP
ndundiz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2gb ram

I am running 2GB RAM. I don't recall fusion promting me to allocate memeory usage during the install.

How would I change this?

OP
ndundiz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't understand how your computer is not structured to switch between 32 and 64 bit kernel, but this article shows you how you can boot into 64-bit kernel mode instead, which should eliminate any 32 vs 64 bit problems you might be facing.

From what I understand, only the Pros had that feature at that time. MacBooks didn't gain it until the later models.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I am running 2GB RAM. I don't recall fusion promting me to allocate memeory usage during the install.

How would I change this?

Run VMWare Fusion, but do not allow it to start the virtual machine. Click the 'Window' menu and choose "Virtual Machine Library". From there you should be able to select the virtual machine and edit its settings, including memory.

Windows 7 wants 2GB of RAM to run comfortably. Your Mac needs at least 1GB or it will get pokey. You'll probably want to upgrade to 4GB at a minimum. 8GB would be preferable and not terribly expensive.

OP
ndundiz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Windows 7 wants 2GB of RAM to run comfortably. Your Mac needs at least 1GB or it will get pokey. You'll probably want to upgrade to 4GB at a minimum. 8GB would be preferable and not terribly expensive.

Thx. I will give it a shot and look into expanding.

OP
ndundiz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Run VMWare Fusion, but do not allow it to start the virtual machine. Click the 'Window' menu and choose "Virtual Machine Library". From there you should be able to select the virtual machine and edit its settings, including memory.

I tried the above and it could not locate my W7.iso file, so I did it the first way through the iso file. Luckily it allocated my 2GB of RAM...still sticky though. So, I ordered two 2GB RAM sticks and that is maxed out for my particular model.

However, I have a secondary issue. I cannot get it to share w/ my OSX. I see no folders, files, drives or desktop. W/ fusion 3 it was automatic and did not have to change any initial settings. I did turn on sharing w/in fusion 4 and checked all the boxes, but I cannot see any of my Mac stuff in fusion. Do I have to do something different in Fusion 4?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.