Mac Pro Video card/gaming/Win 7 questions

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I find myself with an early 2008, quad core (3.0ghz I believe) Mac Pro, dual booting Snow Leopard/win 7, and a somewhat antiquated video card. Is there a guide someone can recommend for upgrading the video card? I know there are Mac-specific video cards, but how do they perform under Win 7? Would windows/intel specific video cards work properly on a Mac, under Win 7? And would it function well enough in Mac OS X.blank to do basic computer functions"

Thank You

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your post has been moved here to the Desktop Forum where it's more likely to get answers.

Would windows/intel specific video cards work properly on a Mac, under Win 7? And would it function well enough in Mac OS X.blank to do basic computer functions"

Video cards designed for Windows PCs do not work in a Mac Pro. They will sometimes work OK if they have been "flashed", however there is no guaranty.
It's best to buy a video card designed specifically for your Mac Pro.

One of our Mac Pro folks should be along soon to give you some recommendations.

OP
S
Reaction score
follow up question

Thank you for your prompt answer. I guess I'd like to know if these Mac-specific video cards work under win 7?

Thanks again, shin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Use a flashed ATI Radeon HD4870 1GB card and it runs fine under Windows 7 Ultimate.

Can't help with the gaming question as not into them but think it would handle reasonably well. You can download Catalyst etc from the ATI wen site.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.