iPod 1st gen replacement...?

Reaction score
Hey all... Just got email from apple saying they're going to replace 1st gen nanos because of battery issues... Anyone know what they are going replace them with?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not sure. I just got an email also and my serial number fits and they are sending me a box. Will see what I can find out.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply (I forgot to put nano in the thread title)... Apple sure didn't let on what it is going to be. Remember when Steve pulled thing out of his jeans pocket on stage !! Had to have!!

Reaction score
Yeah, they're sending me the return box, too. Then we ship them the unit. I'm guessing they'll replace the battery and send it back. Hardly seems worth it. Maybe they can lube up the click wheel while they have it-- mine is getting balky :Smirk:

Reaction score
We for sure won't be getting our original ipod nano back because the email clearly stated that if the ipod was engraved, we will lose that. So the question is if we'll be getting a brand new ipod nano or a refurbrished ipod nano. I believe it will be a refurbrished 1gen because of the lead time. I don't know what the different internal parts are between the 1gen and the current gen ipod nano but considering that it's 5 or 6 years old, there has to be some differences and I can't believe that Apple still has the tooling to remake the 1gen ipod when all of the manufacturering plants are building the current gen ipod nano.

Also, if they were to replace with a current gen, I'd think they would mention something in the email about color choice or memory capacity but it doesn't say anything about that so again, I think Apple is just going to send out a replacement nano from someone that sent their nano in for replacement.

Not complaining because they are fixing an issue but at the same time, they should find a way to allow us to keep our engraving. Considering that not many people still have a functioning 1gen nano, this could be a good faith gesture with positive PR results and the cost of doing all of this would really just amount to the cost of repairing any bad publicity that might come out of this if Apple choose not to do this.

I'll still wish for a brand new replacementnt though. I'll take an 8gb in black please.

Reaction score
Has anybody gotten their return box yet? It was supposed to be received within 2 business days and that was Saturday. It's now past EOB Thursday and I haven't seen mine yet. Just curious if I've missed something.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Fritz, I got my Box and packed it and took it to FedEx. it's on it's way to Apple FedEx overnight! They paid for it all and even included the tape to seal the box!!! I am very impressed!

Reaction score
Fritz, I got my Box and packed it and took it to FedEx. it's on it's way to Apple FedEx overnight! They paid for it all and even included the tape to seal the box!!! I am very impressed!

hmmmmm.... okay, i guess the box will get here eventually, thanks!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmmmmm.... okay, i guess the box will get here eventually, thanks!

If you live up in the mountains maybe it will take longer to get to you. They rang my bell at 11AM this morning with the box. I live just 3-4 miles from a large FedEx depot.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a heads up to all who sent in their iPod Nano's for replacement. As I said above the box came and I packed and sent it to Apple. Very next morning got an email saying they received it and were checking it. Then checked the site later and it's at the last stage and they are sending me out a new one. That was fast.

I will post back here when I receive the new Nano!

Reaction score
Still no box here! I have a feeling that they had trouble getting into my gated condo complex. UPS has no problem but Fed Ex, not so much. Great to hear it will go fast if the box ever gets here!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My replacement is on it's way. I posted this in another thread but can't find it! :D Grin

Thanks for the URL Chas.

Reaction score
I submitted my request on 11/14 and I did receive an email to confirm my request but I still haven't received the pre-paid return box yet.

Reaction score
I submitted my request on 11/14 and I did receive an email to confirm my request but I still haven't received the pre-paid return box yet.

Yeah, me too. Just got the box today and I'm in Cali.
Like dTravis7 said above: very impressive! Nice little box all ready to easily send back. Apple rocks~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Sent mine off in the post today. They only sent a padded bag and a plastic, addressed envelope. Not sure if I should have used the original box but they said not to send anything else - so I just put the iPod in the padded bag.

Wonder how long it will take and just what they will send.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I m actually still waiting on my shipping package - it hasn't been sent yet. I received the email that the case was opened and I should be receiving instructions and packaging in the mail, but that was on Nov, 15. This a normal waiting time?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just got an email from Apple. My Replacement new iPod Nano is on it's way. They say 2 days max. Will let you all know when I receive it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I m actually still waiting on my shipping package - it hasn't been sent yet. I received the email that the case was opened and I should be receiving instructions and packaging in the mail, but that was on Nov, 15. This a normal waiting time?

Yes, the wait seems to be normal in this instance. I my shipping boxes didn't arrive at my home until about a week ago. I filled out my replacement request online within hours of the announcement. Anyhow, I mailed them off within hours of the boxes arriving at my house and haven't heard anything from Apple yet. I'm not concerned as these things are apparently take some time to run through the system - but they are running through. We're basically getting "new" refurbished discontinued Nanos for "free". Well "free" to us, someone is passing along the cost somewhere ;)

Reaction score
I just got an email from Apple. My Replacement new iPod Nano is on it's way. They say 2 days max. Will let you all know when I receive it.

Apparently rumors are floating around that Apple is replacing with 6th gen nanos. Seeing that you should have received your nano by now based on your 2 days max comment, can you confirm if you have the 6th gen or 1st gen?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.