Need help with Power Mac 9500/200 boot options.

Reaction score
I have (as the title says) a Power Macintosh 9500/200 that has a dead scsi hard drive. Aside from the hard drive being toast everything else works fine. It will boot from an OS 9 CD just fine. What im wanting to ideally do with it is install BeOS on it. I have an official install disk and I am *fairly* familiar with how BeOS's boot sequence works on a mac i.e. the whole needing an existing OS9 install to chainload to BeOS thing. Well seeing as how I dont have a functioning scsi drive it puts that system dead in the water. So does anybody know of another way to load BeOS (aside from chainloading off of a full Mac OS install)? Are there any special boot disks that will do it?

If not on to the next question(which is gonna relate to the first question in a chicken and the egg sense).

Is there any way to install Mac OS installed on something other than the stock scsi drive? Ive read of people getting it to install on to a zip disk but i dont have a scsi zip drive :-(. What I do have is a menagerie of IDE drives and controllers. I think around 20-30 IDE drives of varying make and model and around 10 different IDE controllers. However none of the controllers have the mac boot rom. And I *think* I have an adaptec pci firewire card around somewhere too so if anyone knows if firewire will work on that old of a system I have a few usb/firewire enclosures laying around i could try.

So If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks!

Reaction score
Hunt up a SCSI Hd on ebay. Or a IED controller card for a PCC Mac. No the 9500 will not boot from firewire or USB..it will from an external SCSI drive. Your going to need a hard drive..there really cheap. I have an 8600 with a G3 processor card I still use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.