How to configure airport extreme

Reaction score
I am trying to help my parents improve their home network. They have an LG tv with the Netcast feature allowing them to watch Netflix etc and the signal doesn't seem to be very strong in the room. They have dsl and have a combination modem/router which is a Westell 327W. I had them buy an airport extreme since I have one and am very impressed with it. We did try just buying a standalone modem but it wouldn't work for some reason so I want to try and just use the Westell set up.
What is the best way to setup the AE? It sounds like people may be putting the AE in Bridge mode but what exactly does that mean? Does this turn off the Westell router function and allow me to use the superior AE router abilities getting the improved range and speed and I am after?
Any help is appreciated, thx!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
That is correct use bridge mode and let the Westell continue to be the router and select extend a wireless network and configure IPv4 using DHCP and keep encryption all the same preferable WPA2.

OP
S
Reaction score
So if the Westell is the router am I still getting the signal from the Westell or is the AE providing that?
I am not a networking guru. What does configure ipv4 using dhcp mean?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Westell handles addresses when the AEBS is in bridge mode and its just an over glorified wireless access point with a few more bells and whistles. If you turn off the wireless which I would in the Westell then the AEBS controls all wireless functions without conflict. When you set IPv4 using DHCP the Westell will dole out an IP to each device while not giving the same one to another something that happens from time to time when using static. Also change from extend to create a wireless if you turn the wireless off in the Westell .

OP
S
Reaction score
With the AEBS in bridge mode can I still hide the home network from being visible? If so will the guest network still work and also be visible? Thx!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Create a closed network in wireless options then you must know the name and password. Not sure never played with guest network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.