Just installed a new Hard drive in my macbook...

Reaction score
My question is a just installed a hard drive in my macbook since my hard drive went out. I installed a fujitsu 160 GB 2.5" in my intel core duo macbook. Right now there is a folder icon in the middle of the page and it is just flashing... So, is the hard drive good? Is this what it is supposed to do?

I don't have an operating sysem installed yet because I think my DVD/CD ROM is out... Just trying to make sure the hard drive is good because I bought it off of ebay and it was a used one...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I don't have an operating sysem installed yet because I think my DVD/CD ROM is out... Just trying to make sure the hard drive is good because I bought it off of ebay and it was a used one...

This is exactly the problem...you need to install an OS on that new/used HD.

If your internal optical drive is bad...this will certainly make installing an OS more difficult.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
This is exactly the problem...you need to install an OS on that new/used HD.

If your internal optical drive is bad...this will certainly make installing an OS more difficult.

- Nick

Ok, I just wanted to make sure that this is what I hard drive is supposed to do without an OS... Since I did buy a used one off of ebay...

Now I should be able to buy an external DVD/CD rom and install my OS? Or is that going to be a problem for some reason?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Now I should be able to buy an external DVD/CD rom and install my OS? Or is that going to be a problem for some reason?

Sure that should work...or purchase a new or used optical drive to replace your existing "bad" one.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Sure that should work...or purchase a new or used optical drive to replace your existing "bad" one.

Good luck,

- Nick

Nick, thanks for your help... this is the first time I ever changed out a hard drive on any computer... Mainly wanted to make sure the hard drive I just bought was good since I couldn't install my OS "most likely because my DVD/CD ROm is out" Since i bought the hard drive used I just wanted to make sure that is what the computer is supposed to do without an OS on it...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is no way to know whether the new/used hard drive is good or bad until you attempt to do something with it.

OP
S
Reaction score
There is no way to know whether the new/used hard drive is good or bad until you attempt to do something with it.

Hi, let me ask you this... I'm planning on going tomorrow and buy a external DVD/CD Rom drive for my Macbook... Is there a certain type I have to buy for my macbook? Or are they pretty much work on both PC and Macs? My macbook has the intel core duo...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.