Scrambled screen upon wake, 2011 Air (pic inside...)

Reaction score
This is a 2011 Macbook 13" base model. I've owned it since August, and honestly don't even use it very often. It has sustained no damages (ie. drops, spills, or anything...).

Sometimes, quite frequently, my Air's screen will look like this in the log-in screen after waking it from full sleep. It looks like the image is scrambled. Once I log in, the screen goes back to normal.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a sign of a failing screen to come?

IMG_20111110_231419.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
As I always advice, please perform a hardware test to make sure nothing is wrong and to prevent any problems from escalating.

Apple Hardware Test

If there's something wrong with the display, which I doubt, it will most likely tell you. I have a feeling it could be the graphics card, though, because that's what my 2008 MacBook Pro displayed when the graphics card was failing. If I had done a hardware test earlier, I'd have been able to replace it for free under the one-year warranty. Luckily it was a universal problem with that specific GeFoce card, though, which gave me a 4-year extended warranty.

Good luck.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My 2011 MacBook Pro does something similar from time-to-time, but only since upgrading to Lion (and only when waking from "safe sleep").

Personally, I think this is a bug in Lion - but I'm curious to see if it goes away after you close the lid and reopen?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.