macbook pro architecture student

Reaction score
hi guys!!!
i'm an architecture student in my final year and i'm looking for some information about macbook pro. i've been pc user for years but now it's time for mac. the thing is i have some doubts about which notebook to choose:
i was told that a 15'' screen macbook pro with intel corei7, quad-core 2,2GHz; 4gb 1333MHz; 500GB 5400rpm; intel HD graphics 3000; AMD Radeon HD 6750 with 512MB GDDR5 would be just fine to run autocad,photoshop, adobe illustrate, cinema 4d and 3dstudio max.
specially autocad and photoshop i usually have them opened at the same time. can somebody help me about this? i don't really know if this notebook is a good choice for me or if the diference between a 2,2GHz and a 2,4 it's worth the price diference in my case and also between 4GB SDRAM or 8GB SDRAM; and 500 GB 5400 rpm, 750 GB 5400 rpm or 750 GB 7200 rpm- is that really that big of a diference?is it worth the price diference?!
i'd apreciate any help i can get! thanks!

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
The MBP should have no issues running those - but since you'll probably have to run auto cad in Windows (probably virtualized) you'll want to increase the RAM to 8GB. Just do that yourself - don't order it from Apple - you'll save a lot of money.

I'm a firm believer in 7200rpm drives over 5400rpm and I think especially in your case where you'll be manipulating some very large files on a regular basis. Without doubt I'd go for the 7200rpm drive.

Reaction score
My gf is an architect major with a 2011 Pro, and she says those programs sometimes have issues running on her computer. She says they run better on Windows in general.

Just sharing what I've heard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.