Driver issue

Reaction score
I have an older g4 running os x 10.2.7. I just purchased a RALINK usb wireless adapter. I'm having trouble installing the driver. It came with a driver cd but when I click on the mac driver it says there is no file to be mounted. The driver file is a .dmg file if that helps. I'm new to macs so I'm not sure what this means. on ralink's website, their drivers for this say it is compatible with 10.3. Could this be incompatible with my version of OS X?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Could this be incompatible with my version of OS X?

Very likely it is not compatible with OS X 10.2. It's hard enough to get one of those USB wireless adapters to work correctly as it is. You're either going to need to upgrade your version of OS X or find another adapter. I suggest upgrading to at least Panther (OS X 10.3.X). You might be able to upgrade to Tiger (OS X 10.4.11). Just make sure the driver will work first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Best of luck have never got an adapter to work yet, regardless MDD G4, Dual Core G5 or a Mac Pro. And consider is it worth wireless? On a machine that old the only security encryption you will be able to use is WEP which is simply hacked. On an older G4 keep the cable.

OP
C
Reaction score
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Best of luck have never got an adapter to work yet, regardless MDD G4, Dual Core G5 or a Mac Pro. And consider is it worth wireless? On a machine that old the only security encryption you will be able to use is WEP which is simply hacked. On an older G4 keep the cable.

True. The ONLY reason for using wifi is that my router is on the opposite end of my house.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.