Thoughts on photo printer / scanner combo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
It's time to retire my Epson R300 colour printer and scanner (Canoscan D660U). I have an HP Laserjet for text printing but I do want a very good colour printer for my new hobby/one man business - restoring old photos and/or importing them into family tree achives.
I almost talked myself into getting an all-in-one (Canon MG6250 or HP Envy) but seeing the Canon in person has put me off (flimsy build and prone to scratches). The all-in-one approach has some benefit but as photo quality is my prime concern I'm pretty much certain to choose separate units. The scanner will be an Epson V500 or V600 (Canon 5600 considered but again too flimsy and I cannot find a 9000f model to look at) but what printer to choose? The Epson P50 is a contender but the only others I can find are A3 models (Epson SP1400 or Canon IX6550) and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to afford A3 prints!
So, finally, my questions are: are there any other serious colour printers at this price level that I have yet to discover? Is my separate scanner/printer always going to win over the best all-in-one? Your thoughts and retold experiences will be most welcome.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Thank you for that link osxx. Some models there are new to me so I look forward to further reading.

Anyone else like to add anyhing?

Reaction score
I've liked the HP's I've used in the past, currently I have an Epson Stylus Photo RX595 All In One. I'll admit I rarely use the scan function, but I do use it to copy things including photos. My photos (as long as I use good quality paper) come out great, and I know there are better photo printing Epson's than mine. I bought my Epson after a side by side comparison of a photo printed on both the Epson and a HP, subtle differences, but I thought the Epson was better. That said my Mom has a HP All In One and the photos printed on hers are fine as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.