What is the BEST video editing software for Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.4ghz i5, 4GB ram, 500GB SATA, OS X Lion 10.7.2 ~ I'm in love!!!
I mainly wanted a Mac because I always hear that Macs are the best for graphics and editing. Well I thought that the main program I use was compatible for Windows or Mac, but now I see that it is only made for Windows. So now I have to have Windows to run that program on my Mac or purchase another video editing software program made for Mac. What do you think is the best out there and why? Should I really invest in another program or should I just learn iMovie?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Are you kidding? You seriously have never heard of Final Cut? I can tell you that most video editing/recording studios use Mac mainly for that application. It also pretty much eats up your memory and cpu while using it, so make sure you're not running too many applications alongside it.

Apple - Final Cut Pro X - A revolution in creative editing.

It's pretty darn expensive, but I believe it is the best video editing software EVER on a computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Perhaps you should explore iMovie for awhile...It's preloaded on your computer and is quite powerful...and more so with creative manipulation. If you advance quickly and feel a need to upgrade...FCP X would be logical and has a very similar interface to iMovie...The learning curve would be markedly shortened.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi OP,

I personally only run Mac software so when I got my Mac last year I started off using iMove which is great, very easy to use:) but within a short time bought Final Cut Pro X, brileant what else can one say.:D it is a very worthwhile investment and you can get a 30 day free trial from here.

Apple - Final Cut Pro X - Trial

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Try iMovie, but if you want to use Final Cut Pro, do NOT get FCP X just yet. It's woefully underpowered. It does some nice things, but there a LOT of things it doesn't do that many professionals need, such as multicam editing. It has gotten some scathing reviews on Apple's own App Store, and I know that the television station I work at hasn't switched to it because of its severe limitations. Eventually it will probably be fine, but for now I'd recommend Final Cut Pro 7, which is part of Final Cut Studio 3. FCS 3 includes many more programs and is probably relatively cheap since it's now the previous version.

Of course it depends on what your needs are. FCP X will one day be the standard, and you may not care about multicam editing.

C

chas_m

Oneironaut: the perspective you relate comes almost entirely, I find, from people who were used to the previous FCP. Everyone who comes to FCP X "fresh" tends to love it, at least in my experience.

I'm not disagreeing with your criticisms per se, just pointing out that if the OP has never even heard of FCP, it's fairly obvious he's a newbie to video editing (at least on a serious level) and thus the "shortcomings" of FCP X aren't even worth mentioning at this point.

In fact, I concur with the majority that iMovie is likely to be all a person new to video editing would need right now. By the time they outgrow that, there's a good chance that FCP X.1 will be out and many of the "criticisms" of it will be moot (this is pretty much what happened to iMovie as well, actually).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 21.5" i5 iMac 2.7ghz 4gb ram 1tb HDD
Hi godlovesyou

Chas has said almost word for word what the semi professional video editor told me when answering my dozens of pre prepared questions at my local Apple store.

I shall be going the iMovie 11 > FCPX route, hoping to familiarize myself with Mac OS (which is alien to me) whilst gaining confidence with all aspects of basic video editing via the newbie friendly iMovie 11.

It appears that FCPX has taken a departure from FC7 in order to make the transition from iMovie 11 to something more 'pro' a little less daunting. This does not delight the majority of FC7 owners but will delight the majority of Mac and video editing virgins, myself included.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.4ghz i5, 4GB ram, 500GB SATA, OS X Lion 10.7.2 ~ I'm in love!!!
Hey everyone,

First of all, what does OP mean...operator? Sorry, I'm new on the lingo, lol. Second of all, I'm not new to video editing by any means. I have been making and editing my own videos for 9 or 10 years now, I've just been doing it on Windows. I was using Pinnacle Studio, a division of Avid. The program itself is only around $100, but each little thing in the program is a separate fee. Through the years, my husband and I have invested well over $1,000 into this one program...and of course buying the newest version every year or two on top of that. I hate to have so much money invested into something and then have to spend another $300 on FCP, but if it really is that much better then it is something to think about.

I have a lot of experience with transitions, capturing video, panning and zooming, voice-overs, green screen, video on video overlays, plugins, dvd rendering, etc. I never said I never heard of FCP, I have just never used it. My Studio program looks a lot like FCP, so I think it would be a fairly easy transition for me. The reason I am considering the switch is because Studio has quite a few issues that bother me, and like I said I wanted to switch to Mac because of the graphics and editing. I am asking these questions because I want to expand my knowledge, and I know that a lot of you have more experience than I do. I haven't played with iMovie yet because I am still learning the ins and outs of the Mac. I can do basic stuff and most of what I need to do, but I am little confused about where to find everything. I know that you are supposed to used Finder or Launchpad, but I'm used to be able to go to My Computer and see everything I need. I'm just scared I'm going to mess something up, lol. So far I haven't added any programs because I don't have the money to buy anything else right now since I just paid for the MacBook, and because everything I have is for Windows, lol. I did install the Parallels Desktop trial and Windows 7 to that program, but that is about it.

I am so happy that I can download a 30 day free trial to try out FCP, that will be a HUGE deciding factor for me. Thanks so much for that info, oldscribe!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
The Macintosh HD icon on your desktop is similar to My Computer on Windows. It shows all the contents of your "C drive" and from there, all your documents are stored in folders similar to Windows. At the top of the Finder, there is a set of View buttons that lets you see your hard drive's contents in different ways. You can toggle between them all to see which one is easiest for you to use.

I'm not sure how much you need your editing software to do, but give iMovie and FCP X a try, keeping in mind that they are a lot different from each other, in terms of layout and functionality. You won't be able to do as much with iMovie, but it does have basic editing features.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, thanks for the advice. My next question is...if I do purchase the FCP X, won't I get the updates for free? I know if they make version 11 that I would have to pay for that one, but if they update version 10 I should be able to update for free I would think. My other question is...if you have a version of FCP, do they offer an upgrade price or do you have to pay in full for each new version? Studio always offered an upgrade price so that you didn't have to pay in full each time, because they knew you would want the latest and greatest version! =D Also, I am currently downloading the 30 day trial (can't wait!!!) and I watched the video commercial on FCP X. I was wondering do I really need Motion 5 and Compressor 4 to run it effectively? If so, I need to be saving $400 instead of $300. Also, I have a new MacBook so I have the thunderbolt port, which adapter cord should I purchase? I have a Mini DV camcorder at the moment that I always uploaded through firewire, but if I need something different I would like to know. Thanks so much for all of the help!!! :)

C

chas_m

Yes, minor updates to FCP will be free. You should expect quite a significant one early next year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi godlovesyou777,

You are welcome and I am sure you will find your way around FCP X quickly, I am no expert but found using it a relativly easy learning curve :D love it.
OP=Original poster.
And here you will find a little more info
Apple - Final Cut Pro X - Resources

+ there are a plethora of online video tutorials, just look at YTube for example. Or ask here on the forum.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, minor updates to FCP will be free. You should expect quite a significant one early next year.

Would this significant update be a free update, or do you think it will be a new version update? I don't want to spend $300 now and then need to spend another $300 the beginning of next year. Also, do you know if they offer an upgrade price or do you have to buy each full version each year?

C

chas_m

Would this significant update be a free update, or do you think it will be a new version update?

Free.

Also, do you know if they offer an upgrade price or do you have to buy each full version each year?

I don't know, but $300 is literally 1/5th to 1/10th the cost of most other editing systems of FCP's level, so I would imagine that when FCP 11 comes out (which, based on history, should be sometime in 2013 or 2014), you'll likely have to pay "full" price again.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh ok, thanks for the info!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.