What is the best way to run Windows on Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.4ghz i5, 4GB ram, 500GB SATA, OS X Lion 10.7.2 ~ I'm in love!!!
I want to run mostly Mac, but I also want Windows installed because I don't want to purchase all of my commonly used programs all over again...and some of them aren't made for Mac anyways. Any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I'd go for using Bootcamp, it's already installed, easy setup with your Windows disk and doesn't cost you any more.

HTH

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
Depends on the programs, if there mainly light office type programs, then running in a VM such as parallels or a free one like virtual box will suffice If you have games or graphic intensive apps then id go with bootcamp.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Best? It's all relative to a given situation.

Perhaps start here to begin the education needed to find what's 'best' for your needs.

Reaction score
I am a new Mac user of about two months. I am using Fusion to run Windows on my Mac. It works great. I have some programs that are windows only and it runs them fine. I did not try bootcamp because I did not want to reboot as I switch between applications frequently. I have Fusion setup up on one desktop and all my other Mac apps on another. I just press Ctrl and right or left arrow to switch between them it really works slick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 6-core 2.66 GHz Xeon, dual ATI 5770 HD
I installed bootcamp and it works fine. I got tired of rebooting though so bought Parallels Desktop and installed it. Everything I've tried thus far (MS Office programs, plus a number of older programs) works great, no problems at all.

Don't mean to confuse you with too many choices but, at least in my experience, this is a choice that works. I'm sure there are others as well.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.4ghz i5, 4GB ram, 500GB SATA, OS X Lion 10.7.2 ~ I'm in love!!!
Thanks for the advice. I downloaded Parallels to try it out, but before I spent $80 on it I wanted to make sure there wasn't a better option for cheaper. I've been using it for about a week, and there are some things I like about it and some I don't. The biggest thing is I have a few programs that I don't have an actual disc for...they are things I bought or downloaded off the internet and they won't load because I don't know how to get them to work with Parallels.

I like that Bootcamp is free, but I also don't want to reboot every time I want to switch. It sounds like I might have to use it for my video editing software though, because that is a large involved graphics program.

I'll have to look into Virtual Box since it's free, and Fusion as well and see what I think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 6-core 2.66 GHz Xeon, dual ATI 5770 HD
I downloaded Parallels to try it out, but before I spent $80 on it I wanted to make sure there wasn't a better option for cheaper.

For what it's worth, Parallels V7 can be had from Amazon for $57.37.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.