backup my itunes

Reaction score
I have a Imac at work with my itunes where I use ipod util to transfer my songs to the mac at work. At home, I use a pc sony vaio that has my main itunes and where i use to sync my ipod.

I used the pc to back up , the way I did it -in itunes , I went to file and export library and I put it in a CD. However, I noticed that it was a small file, I have over 500 songs, the file was in kb not mb. so, that cant be right.

Then, I tried in the pc , to scan for music files and it came up w/a bunch and I was burning it to 3 CD's when I realized that I am probably burning Window's chimes, media files, etc, so I cancel it. My pc doesnt have a dvd burner.

My mac does at work and using the ipod util, I was able to get my songs transfer from my ipod to the mac.

What is the best way to back up my itunes? I thought my just dragging the music folder that says itunes would do it, but I am not sure.

thanks for your help in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
cooljoe815 said:
I used the pc to back up , the way I did it -in itunes , I went to file and export library and I put it in a CD. However, I noticed that it was a small file, I have over 500 songs, the file was in kb not mb. so, that cant be right.

That just exports the library list into an XML file.

You should drag your iTunes Music directory to DVD (or CD-R if it will fit, you may have to span across CD-R's) and burn 'em.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.