iChat

Reaction score
Hi, I have followed some of the threads but I can't find one that has worked for my problem. I hate iChat. Everytime I reboot it comes back. Everytime I thought I have eliminated it, back from the grave it comes. To be fair, I hate all chat, but this one I can't seem to avoid. Setting preferences didn't work. Unchecking boxes didn't work. Taking it to trash didn't work. Can anyone help? Thank you.

P.S. I have Lion 10.7.2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Can't you just remove the icon from the dock and hide it in a folder in Applications called 'Hated Apps' or something? What's it done wrong?;D

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
First of all make sure that it is not open when you shut down otherwise Lion mat re-open it depending upon how you have Lion set to behave. Second, I suspect that iChat has accidentally been set to open at login. Open the Accounts preference pane and see if it is there in the login items. If so you should be safe removing it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks, but so far no go. I have checked the accounts preference pane. It is not set to open at login. I have removed it from the dock. I tried to delete the program but a window pops up and says it cannot be deleted or modified as it is needed by OSX. It popped up when I logged on tonight. I have to close it each time. It is not configured as I wiped out all information on any other crappy program it tries to use.

Anybody got anything else to try?

Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
With iChat back in the dock, right click and click on Options. Is Open at Login checked?

Why do you hate iChat so much? Just curious.

OP
B
Reaction score
To dtravis7,

I put iChat back in the dock, rebooted, and back it came. Along with something called me.com. Could me.com be the problem? I don't even know what me.com is. I have never used it. I have to close it too.

For curiosity's sake. I don't hate iChat as a chatting program. I hate all chat programs. I go to great lengths to not use them. I have to do a lot of work on my computer. I also do all of my bills on the computer. I use it for all appointments. I write maybe one or two checks a year if I am forced to. And every time Yahoo or some other group decides to redo their process the messenger service pops back up. I eliminate it and go on. I have a problem with relatives who have no jobs and surf the internet all day "finding" me. Then they interrupt my work and don't seem to understand I don't want to "chat" with them. If they want to talk to me they can call, or email, I don't care, but don't "chat" me.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you RIGHT click on the iChat icon in the Dock and do what I said? Options and uncheck Open at Login if it's checked?

ichat2.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.