Resizing Bootcamp partition?

Reaction score
I've been looking into resizing my bootcamp partition so that I can install Skyrim when it's released. I'm not entirely certain if I understand the methods though - I've read that a free program Gnome can do it. Does anybody know how to do this? I can't afford to pay for a partitioning program at this point in time.

I literally have stripped my windows side bare bones in order to install StarCraft II and now need at least an additional 6 gb. I am away from home and have no access to any of my Windows installation software, and really would like to be able to play Skyrim!!

It seems like an extremely painful process, I was just wondering if anyone on here had a clearcut method to extend my partition and not have to re-install windows.

Thanks!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unless you're prepared to either risk losing your entire BC partition or at the very least render it useless, I strongly suggest you dig out your wallet and pay the $19.95 cost of CampTune because it's really the only reliable software that works to non-destructively resize BC partitions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
After Googling, there is this free way of doing it, but nothing is 100% risk-free and certain:

How to resize your Boot Camp partition without reinstalling Windows | raddevon.com

There is also another free application called "GParted" that you can try.

There is also this way which isn't guaranteed to work, and in all honesty seems too easy to be true:

you can use the disk management utilities provided with the current operating systems if you want to do it manually. Windows 7 and OS X both have partition resizing functions built in. In OS X, open Disk Utility and manually shrink the mac HFS+ partition by dragging the lower right corner. Then in windows go to the start menu and type "disk management" into the search box then hit enter. You should get an overview of the drives you have and the individual partitions. Right-clicking on the partition gives an "Extend Volume" option. The Windows NTFS volume should then be extended into the free space you created with Disk Utility. This method has not worked for other users, so try at your own risk.

Source: mac-rumors

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Unless you're prepared to either risk losing your entire BC partition or at the very least render it useless, I strongly suggest you dig out your wallet and pay the $19.95 cost of CampTune because it's really the only reliable software that works to non-destructively resize BC partitions.

If you want reliable, that's the only way.

OP
T
Reaction score
I read that website from Google as well, I've done my research, but it doesn't appear to be 100% safe even if I do fork out the cash to get that program. Can anybody confirm that CampTune is safe and worth the money?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro i5 / 4GB / 250GB
I have used the windows version of camptune repeatedly with no issues. both on C2D macbooks and i5 MBPs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.