What do I use since WMV longer works with new system?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In order to view WMV files (Windows Media Video) you have to have an add on to QuickTime installed. You need Microsoft's Flip4Mac which you can download for free from here.

OP
C
Reaction score
WMV doesn't work for my live webcam site

I am replying, but looks like it is a new posting. . . Anyway, someone suggested I use Flip4Mac to few my streaming web camera LambWatch! Watch and listen to lambs and other wildlife live on webcam!!. I tried it. Still no luck. In the box/window where the live cam would be playing there is a grayed out Flip4mac logo, but everything is grayed out, no clicking ability. Any more suggestions? Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Their stream is only compatible with 32 bit.

Use Firefox - when you attempt to launch the cam stream, it'll pop up asking if you want to restart FF in 32 bit mode - say yes.

OP
C
Reaction score
Nope, that didn't work either. Everything is still grayed out. I checked and it says my flip4mac is up to date (and i just downloaded it). Any other ideas? Why is this so hard? Is this new system wacky or something? Thanks, need h elp.

OP
C
Reaction score
OK, I closed both browsers (safari& firefox) and somehow was able to open the streaming live cam with REALPLAYER. So weird. As far as I can tell, Ii am not using a browser at all. So I can't bookmark it or use it as startup page. I still would like to use safari to see this site if anyone has a suggestion. It just doesn't make since that with the new system certain things are no longer possible. Thanks for your help.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Need to upgrade Flip4Mac to the latest version. Just did that here and that got it working in the latest Safari and Firefox. Took it a good 30 seconds to load in either browser here. Boy did that start chewing CPU cycles. And it doesn't start automatically - just click in the box once and wait.

Go to System Preferences - Flip4Mac and upgrade from there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.