AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme

D

dziner

I'm in the process of buying a house and strongly considering a wireless network because there is no cable connection in the room that will be the home office. And because I can't run ethernet through the plaster walls.

I can't decide if I could simply use the AirPort Express or if I will need to purchase the AirPort Extreme. If I can simply buy the AirPort Express and have it connected to the cable modem which can be located in the living room, and connect my home theater system to it, then I think the Express will work great. The office will be located on the second floor, maybe 60 feet from the living room.

So I guess I'm confused what the point of the Extreme Base Station is besides having a built-in dial-up modem. Can anyone tell me why I may want to get the Extreme over the Express?

I will be connecting to the network with a 1.6Ghz G5 which I will need to get a wireless card for. I may want to put a beige G3 on the network too but haven't really thought about how I woud do that yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Airport Extreme is much more robust and has a larger range. I would highly recommend using the Extreme if it's going to be the hub of your entire home network. The Express is good for either an extension for your network or as a portable base but it's not as versatile and the range is not as good.

OP
D

DuGong

.. i use a belkin Pre-N router. its the best. i have previously owned the Base station extreme.. i was dissapointed with its performance and range.

pre-n is a better buy. setting it up is the only drawback with the modem.

ive got the airport express. i use it too boost the frequency and also to use its as a hifi system...

OP
B

blueturtles

how do you use the aiprt express to boost a connection from a belkin router?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.