updating to IOS5

Reaction score
Hello guys i have a noob question regarding updating the ios. I am currently still running on ios 4.1 because I had it jailbroken and I was to lazy to get it updated.
Now I have decided that I want to update to ios 5 and wait for the untethered jailbreak to come out. however, now that the ios 5.01 has come out I was wondering if there was a way to update to ios 5 without updating to ios 5.01.

Reaction score
Hello guys i have a noob question regarding updating the ios. I am currently still running on ios 4.1 because I had it jailbroken and I was to lazy to get it updated.
Now I have decided that I want to update to ios 5 and wait for the untethered jailbreak to come out. however, now that the ios 5.01 has come out I was wondering if there was a way to update to ios 5 without updating to ios 5.01.

I have the same question as yours , except my firmware now is 4.3.3 and I want to know if I can upgrade my iPhone 4 firmware to iOS 5.0, I have saved my shsh ios5.0 with tinyumbrella. Right now Apple only signed iOS 5.0.1 Thanks to anyone help !

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Unless I'm mistaken, the iTunes update will always update to the latest release version of iOS. So in this case that would be iOS 5.0.1 if it's compatible with your device. There is no option to select an older version like iOS 5.0 during this process. So if you wish to upgrade, you'll get iOS 5.0.1 which from my reading is mainly targeting the iPhone 4S battery issue and a couple of other bugs, so it should be no biggie to upgrade to that.

I upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS 5 on release day and haven't seen any issues with batteries and any bugs per say..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.