Samsung 2TB HDD not recognized in Disk Ultility

Reaction score
Hey guys...

I bought a big ole external harddrive from Samsung about a month ago, and it worked like a charm on my iMac the first couple of days... (My iMac is Intel, 3.06 GHz, 4 GB DDR3 Ram, Snow Leopard vs. 10.6.8)...

Then I stopped using it for a week or two, and now I cant get it to show up in my finder when I plug it in... :( The lights on the drive is on, it makes those classic purring noises just like before, but it simply does not show up in my finder, so I cant access all my beloved por... erm, vacation photos...

I had a look in my Disk Utility, but it doesn't show up there either...

What could be wrong...? Have you ever encounted a harddrive that wouldn't show up in your finder..?

- I already tried to switch the usb cable from another external hdd, but that didn't work either... And unfortunately, being the poor student that I am, I only have this one computer, so I can't even test it out on another...

I really hope you guys know what to do, because I payed big bucks for that hdd, and most of my work from school is on there...

Cheers,

// Nowa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I hate to tell you this, but it sounds like your Samsung has died an early death. About the only suggestion I can give a poor student is to get an RMA from Samsung and have them send you a new drive. You could try to extract your data from the dead drive but if it doesn't show in Disk Utility, recovery software will likely not work either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.