Odd overheating (?) MBP

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro 13.3' new in the fall of 2010. It's got the 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo processor. It generally performs well but something has me puzzled--and I'm not sure if I should be concerned too.

The CPU temp (per iStat Pro) usually runs around 60 degrees C with the exhaust fan running about 2,000 rpm. However pretty frequently the CPU heats up to 80-85 degrees C and then the fan runs up to 4,000 rpm. The weird thing is that it can heat up like this after being on for just ten minutes and running a single program like a browser (just now, for instance, I have only Chrome running, and the CPU temp is 82 C). It does this without running any flash or other video or anything that should be particularly taxing on the CPU. When it heats up like this it seems impossible to get it to run cooler as long as the machine is on--I can put it to sleep for half an hour but when I turn it on again it is soon running at 80 degrees again.

And conversely sometimes I can run video for half an hour or longer and have half a dozen programs open and it won't heat up past 60-65 degrees C. Seems strange. I'll soon near the end of my 1-yr warranty period. Do you think it's worth bringing this matter to Apple?

Thanks in advance for any comments, advice, etc.

OP
I
Reaction score
I should have added that the OS is Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I never use the MBP on my lap, so my legs are not contributing to it heating up. I always have it on a flat surface, and do not block the exhaust or ventilation area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.