Late 2006 MacBook Pro (MA611LL)-should I buy it?

Reaction score
Hello everyone-
Looking to join the Mac camp as my PC is dying (thankfully ;D).

For reference, the PC is a Windows XP machine, AMD Atholon XP 2400+, 2.00 GHZ, 1.00 GB of RAM. The C drive totals 69.2 GB, with 47.4 GB used. It sits upstairs in the spare bedroom and is basically used for iTunes management and occasional MS Word or Excel use. I get a "your system is running low on virtual memory" message every now and then. My father-in-law gave me the machine a few years ago, so it technically hasn't cost me anything.

I do have an HP laptop that sits in the kitchen (2 years old) that is the "main PC" for the house. The wife and 11 year old use it both for school work (MS Word) and internet.

The wife has an iPhone4 and iPad2. I have an ATV2 in the basement to stream iTunes music to the H/T system. Also have 2 AirPort Express units to stream iTunes to the kitchen and to the outside deck in the backyard.

Daughter is getting an iPhone4S for Christmas.

So we're really becoming an Apple household. :)

A co-worker has a MacBook Pro, late 2006, MA611LL/A that is for sale. He is the original owner and does a lot of photo editing, so he bought a new MBP.

The outer case is spotless, it really looks brand new. The display and inner case also are spotless. He took it to the Apple store and had everything transferred to his new MBP. There are no problems with it per the Apple store. It has Snow Leopard on it.

Here are the specs:
MacBook Pro (Late 2006) - Technical Specifications

He is asking $700. Would this be a good deal to replace the PC in the bedroom?

Or would I be better served looking at a 21.5" iMac (new for $1985 {8GB upgraded memory, 1TB hard drive, and 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 processor, AppleCare plan), or even a Refurb'd 21.5" iMac for $1530 (3.6GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 4GB memory, 1TB hard drive, AppleCare plan).

For now, main use of any of these would be MS Office (documents, excel), iTunes, and some photo management. It'd be great to have the machine allow us to do more in the future.

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
He is asking $700.

Nope. Price is too high.

Or would I be better served looking at a 21.5" iMac...

Why are you considering a laptop (MacBook Pro) or an iMac? They each have vastly different needs.

Laptop = portability
desktop = no portability.

Decide on what you want/need (laptop vs. desktop)...then let's talk.:)

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Nope. Price is too high.

Thanks, what would be a reasonable offer?

Why are you considering a laptop (MacBook Pro) or an iMac? They each have vastly different needs.

Laptop = portability
desktop = no portability.

Decide on what you want/need (laptop vs. desktop)...then let's talk.:)

- Nick

I feel I would get more "bang for my buck" with a desktop. But the portability of the laptop is good, but not needed since I already have an HP laptop.

Wasn't sure if this MacBook Pro was a good option to get the family introduced to a Mac.

I do like the "look" of the iMac.

In closing, I would like this PC to be a purchase that lasts or holds us for a few years...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks, what would be a reasonable offer?

I would say $500-$550. Of course since this is a co-workers computer...the negotiating can be a little more "tricky"...versus a computer purchased form a stranger...like from Craig's List.

I feel I would get more "bang for my buck" with a desktop.

Of course you do...this is what I/we advise people all the time!:) That's why I'm confused that you're considering a used laptop from your co-worker.:Confused:

If you're interested in a laptop then get a laptop (new or used)...or if you're interested in a desktop...get a desktop (new or used).

Of course a $500-$700 Apple laptop is MUCH less expensive than a new $1500-$2000 iMac. But if you're willing to spend $1500-$2000 on a new iMac..you could spend the same $$$$ on a new Apple laptop.:)

I think that this coworker's MacBook Pro would be powerful enough for your needs...and would be a lower-cost way of getting introduced to Macintosh computers.:)

- Nick

p.s. I would also say verify that this computer has a "core 2 duo" cpu. If it's a "late 2006" model it should. But if it doesn't have a core 2 duo cpu...I would say forget about it. Since you would not be able to upgrade to the latest Mac OS (10.7 Lion)...10.7 requires a core 2 duo cpu.

OP
G
Reaction score
I would say $500-$550. Of course since this is a co-workers computer...the negotiating can be a little more "tricky"...versus a computer purchased form a stranger...like from Craig's List.

I think that this coworker's MacBook Pro would be powerful enough for your needs...and would be a lower-cost way of getting introduced to Macintosh computers.:)

- Nick

Thanks Nick, I think you've summed it up very well: I want to introduce the family to the Mac OS, and this laptop (provided it is a core 2 duo CPU), which meets my needs, would be a cost efficient way to get the Mac OS through the door.

There may be some negotiating room, so if he would come down to the $500 range, that would seal the deal.

p.s. I would also say verify that this computer has a "core 2 duo" cpu. If it's a "late 2006" model it should. But if it doesn't have a core 2 duo cpu...I would say forget about it. Since you would not be able to upgrade to the latest Mac OS (10.7 Lion)...10.7 requires a core 2 duo cpu.

I'll confirm, as that is something I'd like to do (go to 10.7 Lion).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro i5 / 4GB / 250GB
dont forget you can pick up C2D macbooks at cowboom for less than $400.00

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
You mentioned you already have a HP laptop, so the wiser choice would be to buy a used 2007 - 2008 iMac in the 500 - 600 price range. You can find them on Craig's List, eBay, and many other websites. You seem to be confident in the quality of your co-worker's notebook, though, and that's the most important thing. You wouldn't want to buy a computer that would two months later die or stop working for something the previous owner had done.

Good luck, and welcome in advance to the world of Mac. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.