Macbook '09 volume isn't adjusting.

Reaction score
I know this question has been asked frequently, but none of them meet my issue. My speakers are working just fine, and there is no line through the volume image when I adjust it. However, whenever I plug in my headphones, the volume gets messed up. It won't work correctly when the headphones are in, and the volume gets 'stuck'. There is still sound, but I cannot raise or lower the volume, it is stuck at one level. Even when I mute it, the sound continues to come out. I can, however, adjust the volume with the volume meter on iTunes and on youtube videos, but thats the only way how.

When I restart my Macbook, the volume goes back to working just fine, until I plug my headphones in. There is no red light coming from the headphone slot. I know I could easily just avoid using my headphones on my laptop, but thats not something I want to have to do. Any idea whats up and how I can fix this problem? ( I have never had an issue with my Macbook til now.)
Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you! :)

Reaction score
Temp Fix

I have a similar -- if not the same -- problem, except the sound usually stops adjusting when I pull the headphones out, and I can't adjust it unless I put the headphones back in. (Admittedly, the reverse has happened as well.) I don't know what is wrong or how to make it right, but I may have a temporary fix.

Whenever you go to plug in or remove your headphones, start hitting the volume buttons as if you were going to max or mute your sound. Make sure you continue to do this AS you remove or plug in the wire. (Continue to hit the volume buttons until the headphones are in, and you can see the visual lowering or raising the volume.)

What I find happens is the sound visual pauses when the switch happens, then jumps to the correct volume. At that point when you wear your headphones/mess with the sound, you can hear the volume adjusting properly.

This doesn't really fix what is causing the problem, but it beats restarting your computer every time AND allows you to use your headphones freely.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help. My issue has been off and on, and the volume is working just fine now. But I will keep your advice every time I unplug my headphones! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.