Photography Showcase

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
(y)(y)@SleeperSS .

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Well, it is nearly Christmas...

Attachments

• robin-final-web.jpg
    robin-final-web.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
As I spend most of my time when walking around trying hard not to fall over and break bones, I'm very slow and spend most of my time watching where my feet are!! This has very few advantages as you might imagine, but one of them is that I do spot lovely little cameos or scenes on the ground. This is one from my local patch of woodland that I'm particularly proud of :)

I shot this with a 15 year-old Nikon D700 and even older 105mm Nikkor macro lens. It's I think 6 shots focus-stacked in Photoshop to get top to bottom sharpness.

Attachments

• windfall-final-web.jpg
    windfall-final-web.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
That is very, very nice, Nick! Great composition and good eyes for you to notice it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is very, very nice, Nick! Great composition and good eyes for you to notice it.
thanks Jake. One of the few benefits of being unsteady on my feet!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just recently I started taking up bird photography. We have a small patch of woodland near our home and my daughter and I visit most days. There are no exotic species there, just plain old UK woodland birds, but we love them nonetheless :)

This greattit sat and posed for a good few minutes for us yesterday!

on-one-leg-final-web.jpg

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Nice shot, Nick.
I have Nikon D610 for night landscape, but a while ago picked up a Nikon D5600 body to have a lighter kit for traveling. You might consider trying one.
The 24MP sensor and 1.5 crop factor would do wonders for your lenses for birding, both with additional reach and a lighter package to carry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice shot, Nick.
I have Nikon D610 for night landscape, but a while ago picked up a Nikon D5600 body to have a lighter kit for traveling. You might consider trying one.
The 24MP sensor and 1.5 crop factor would do wonders for your lenses for birding, both with additional reach and a lighter package to carry
camera wise I'm mainly a Fujifilm shooter. I've now got 5 (I know, I know) of their APSC cameras (1 for each generation of X-Trans sensor!!) with a 40MP X-T5 my main shooter which I combine with a 100-400 lens for my birding.
Before this I used their medium format GFX cameras and lenses, but the size and weight became too much for me to manage sadly, as the image quality was unsurpassed by anything elese I've ever used.
I used to be a Nikon shooter and still have a full-frame D700 which I absolutely adore, and combined with a 105mm macro still makes wonderful images.
The D5000 range are all really good cameras. My first DSLR was a D3100 which made lovely images.

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm quite new here and I'd be happy to join the local photography community since it's my main hobby. My main camera is my old Canon 650D with a standard KIT lens but I also plan to get a 50mm one soon.

I've attached a pic I took while on vacation last year and I like it a lot, especially because of the colors. By the way, what do you think is the best software for photo editing for Macs? I want to get a brand new Mac sometime soon and, since I haven't been using them for quite a few years, I wonder whether there are any new breakthrough apps that I might check out.

In fact, I mainly want a Mac because I want to develop my skills in the photography realm, so I would be thankful for any advise and guidance.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6226.jpg
    IMG_6226.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 5

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
what do you think is the best software for photo editing for Macs?

Well, Apple includes a photo-editing suite for free as part of the Photos app.

For serious photographers who want a great deal more, Affinity Photo offers an extensive range of options and is a tiny fraction of the cost of, say, Adobe.

Found here: Affinity Photo – award-winning photo editing software

NB Personal view based on several years of using this product. I have no connection, affiliation or any other association with that company.

Ian

Reaction score
Well, Apple includes a photo-editing suite for free as part of the Photos app.

For serious photographers who want a great deal more, Affinity Photo offers an extensive range of options and is a tiny fraction of the cost of, say, Adobe.

Found here: Affinity Photo – award-winning photo editing software

NB Personal view based on several years of using this product. I have no connection, affiliation or any other association with that company.

Ian
Thanks! I will check this Affinity Photo out. I've been thinking about trying something other than the Adobe stuff for some time, because I think it can give me a better perspective of what options are available and what I actually need

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I recently bought a Laowa 65mm macro lens for my Fujifilm cameras. I also have an ancient Nikon 105mm f2.8 macro that I use on an equally ancient Nikon D700, and decided to shoot the two side by side. Well, the winner is… the older kit! As good as the Laowa is, I actually think it might be too good and clinical, while the Nikon for all its flaws is the better "story telling" lens. The image below was shot with the Nikon kit, and I'm really quite proud of it - proud enough to post it here alongside all the other excellent images.

bee-on-cosmos-final-web.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
more macro. this time it's a crane fly
camera: Fujifilm X-H2
lens: Laowa 65mm f2.8 Ultra Macro

crane-fly-3-final-web.jpg

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.