Photography Showcase

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Haven't been able to take a lot of photos here lately. Its been raining a lot here in the Philippines. Which it does this time of year. But got a break from the rain the other night and had a chance to stay up and do some night time time lapse. So its photography in motion I guess. LOL.. Uploaded to youtube.. Its best viewed at 720p.. Enjoy

Night Moves - YouTube

smb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.5 i7, 24GB. Drobo5D EHD. Mac Book Air. 2010 15" Mac Book Pro. Retired 2008 (3.1) Mac Pro
It has been several years since it was cold enough to see ice at Great Falls, Virginia.
Was hoping for more of a freeze and a little color in the clouds. We have a few more cold days coming so I will try again this week.

6GreatFalsVa01262014_Bysshe_8423-Version2wtmk_zpsbfa01c44.jpg

smb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.5 i7, 24GB. Drobo5D EHD. Mac Book Air. 2010 15" Mac Book Pro. Retired 2008 (3.1) Mac Pro
Don't want to break any posting rules for # of images/week but this is an overview.

6GreatFalsVa01262014_Bysshe_8511-Version2_zps8b1beb10.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Very nice, Brent.

Which lens did you use for the shot?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Nice photos everyone..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Very nice, Brent.

Which lens did you use for the shot?

Thanks mate. Still coming to terms with the new Camera, and playing around with it. Im actually liking photographing Flora at the moment, and getting some nice colours.
This was taken in Macro on my new Sigma
2o87dko.png

This next one, no Post Processing, apart from being cropped . . .

7KkdRqx.jpg

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thanks mate. Still coming to terms with the new Camera, and playing around with it. Im actually liking photographing Flora at the moment, and getting some nice colours.
This was taken in Macro on my new Sigma
2o87dko.png

This next one, no Post Processing, apart from being cropped . . .

7KkdRqx.jpg

Beautiful colors and sharp . . . and exactly what I end up doing on most of my macro attempts, getting the focus on the flower instead of the bee . . . ;)

I have a very hard time getting the bugs to cooperate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice shot Brent.

I just ordered the new Sigma 17-70mm F/2.8-4.0 Contemporary Lens. Having a friend bring it to me from the states when they come out to visit. I am replacing my Canon EF 28-135 f/4.5-5.6 USM Lens with the Sigma. The Canon lens is just way to soft by todays standards. But the Sigma is also supposed to have a good all around macro mode.

I was going to replace my Canon EF 75-300 with a new Tamron SP 70-300 (new model), but the Tamrons IS doesn't play to well with video. So I am hoping Sigma does a refresh on the one you got for a C line up or Sports (S) line. So I will hold out till next year. But to be honest, I am looking hard at the Canon 70-300 L lens. But hoping Sigma offers something with that zoom range with larger aperture for lower light. If they came out with a 2.8 to 4.0 in that zoom range I would be overly excited or just a constant f/4 would be so nice.

If I can offer a tip for focusing, set you focus point to the center square only. Point at the bee and press the shutter button down half way and hold it. Then position the shot as to have the bee in the upper right corner. Then take the shot. This will keep the bee in focus and let you use the rule of thirds to get a better composition.

Cheers,
Joe

smb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
set you focus point to the center square only. Point at the bee and press the shutter button down half way and hold it. Then position the shot as to have the bee in the upper right corner. Then take the shot. This will keep the bee in focus and let you use the rule of thirds to get a better composition.
/QUOTE]

Can also assign the AF-On button to focus with the thumb, hold it and fire away with the shutter release.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can also assign the AF-On button to focus with the thumb, hold it and fire away with the shutter release.

Wasn't sure about Nikon.. I am a Canon users :D

Cant wait for my 70D to finally get here hopefully by next week. I can just tap the screen and it focus in on what ever I want no matter were its located. It will even track moving targets to a pretty good degree.. Its gonna make me lazy ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice shot Brent.

Thanks mate, I'm learning :)

If I can offer a tip for focusing, set you focus point to the center square only. Point at the bee and press the shutter button down half way and hold it. Then position the shot as to have the bee in the upper right corner. Then take the shot. This will keep the bee in focus and let you use the rule of thirds to get a better composition.

Cheers,
Joe

Its the same way i use to fire the big guns in my turret in my LAV25 . . Send 1 round down range, and where that round lands in the view finder, i then move that place onto the target . . . Well in reverse anyways lol I appreciate the tips, as I'm still learning. I did know that, but when I'm moving quick to get the shot, I'm still not doing everything correctly in the right order.
I need to have a . . . . . . Checklist per se that i need to use/go through, every time i take a shot. I know from my Military days, it i something learnt and then i have to initiate it when I'm in Photographer Mode . ..

set you focus point to the center square only. Point at the bee and press the shutter button down half way and hold it. Then position the shot as to have the bee in the upper right corner. Then take the shot. This will keep the bee in focus and let you use the rule of thirds to get a better composition.

Thanks for this. It has helped me, because it made me look further into my camera. I know AF, but then the 'on' and 'press shutter' took me to Shutter Release on my research. Both my D7000 and now the D7100, i would hold the shutter button down, ½ way = Focus and then down all the way to take the image. When i did this, instead of focus>press>take picture, my cameras was focus>press>camera clicked waited a second or 2 >picture taken . . . It was such a slow process, and being this my 1st Big Boys Camera, i thought that this is how DSLR's worked (to a point) . . . I have been playing around, and now i can focus>press>image snapped straight away. Can someone tell me what has changed ?? It sort of felt like that it was focusing, press all the way down, mirror raised and then the image was taken ?!?!?
It might be a bit much for here, i might have to get into a Nikon Forum :(

Cant wait for my 70D to finally get here hopefully by next week. I can just tap the screen and it focus in on what ever I want no matter were its located. It will even track moving targets to a pretty good degree.. Its gonna make me lazy ;P

Pictures or it didn't happen . . . . Is it nest week yet ?? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Thanks mate, I'm learning :)

Thanks for this. It has helped me, because it made me look further into my camera. I know AF, but then the 'on' and 'press shutter' took me to Shutter Release on my research. Both my D7000 and now the D7100, i would hold the shutter button down, ½ way = Focus and then down all the way to take the image. When i did this, instead of focus>press>take picture, my cameras was focus>press>camera clicked waited a second or 2 >picture taken . . . It was such a slow process, and being this my 1st Big Boys Camera, i thought that this is how DSLR's worked (to a point) . . . I have been playing around, and now i can focus>press>image snapped straight away. Can someone tell me what has changed ?? It sort of felt like that it was focusing, press all the way down, mirror raised and then the image was taken ?!?!?
It might be a bit much for here, i might have to get into a Nikon Forum :(

Pictures or it didn't happen . . . . Is it nest week yet ?? :)

Sounds like you had exposure delay mode activated. This is useful for landscape photography where used in conjunctoin with mirror up mode can help eliminate cameara shake.

smb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
David Busch's Nikon D7100 Guide to Digital SLR Photography (David Busch's Digital Photography Guides)

Not sure about your exact menu but Nikon has choices between when shutter release is activated. Look for Auto Focus>AF-C priority selection. Also AF- S priority selection.

The "back button" selection is under Auto Focus> AF Activation.

Non of that has to do with Auto Focus Tracking!

The above series By David Busch is a very good source for all the mechanics in your camera. It is not some thing you sit down and read cover to cover, but it is a great reference volume. Better than any Nikon manual.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like you had exposure delay mode activated. This is useful for landscape photography where used in conjunctoin with mirror up mode can help eliminate cameara shake.

Yes thats exactly what was on.Thanks. Funny they have it on as Default from new out of box, but its firing right now.

David Busch's Nikon D7100 Guide to Digital SLR Photography (David Busch's Digital Photography Guides)

Not sure about your exact menu but Nikon has choices between when shutter release is activated. Look for Auto Focus>AF-C priority selection. Also AF- S priority selection.

The "back button" selection is under Auto Focus> AF Activation.

Non of that has to do with Auto Focus Tracking!

The above series By David Busch is a very good source for all the mechanics in your camera. It is not some thing you sit down and read cover to cover, but it is a great reference volume. Better than any Nikon manual.

Cheers smb, i actually do have his Field Guide and making my ways through it. As i said before, being my 1st big boy camera, its a lot to take in, but he does a good job at it. I have it on my iPad Mini, and i can search for keywords and get a list in iBooks, so it has come in helpful.
Unlike the Nikon Manual, were you read a snippet of information, then has a pge # Next to it, and another, and another and another . . . The Guides have you running around in circles.
Ill keep with his iBook
Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Useful for macro works also..

I am really interested over the next few years to see mirror-less cameras evolve. If the Canon EOS-M had the AF technology that went into my 70D's sensor I would have went with it even though it has no view finder.

Edit: Speaking of guides. Here is a quick reference card for anyone trying to figure out exposer. I made it myself a while back..

View attachment Exposer Reference Card.pdf

smb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Time to get back to some images.
Just returned from New Mexico. An amazing spot to photograph wintering birds, especially Snow Geese and Sandhill Cranes.
(Tough to post just one a month to give you an idea about all the opportunities.)
DSC_1287wtmk_zpsc8f017c9.jpg

I have posted a selection here, if you are interested: New Mexico - sbysshe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just returned from New Mexico. An amazing spot to photograph wintering birds, especially Snow Geese and Sandhill Cranes.
(Tough to post just one a month to give you an idea about all the opportunities.)

I have posted a selection here, if you are interested: New Mexico - sbysshe

Nice shot there smb . . . On the 1 a month thing, many of us haven't taken much notice of that. That was put in place when this thread was called Photo of the Month, so feel free to put a couple more down if you feel the need. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just returned from New Mexico. .........]

I love photos of Ducks and Geese, very nice shots..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.