Help--My iPhoto Prints are Garbage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2011 - iPhone 5
Easy-PhotoPrint Alternative for New Mac User??

I was a PC user for 15 years, and I just bought a new iMac. I was shunned on DAL for asking a Mac question, so I hope I'm in the right place!!

Can anyone suggest a program that is as easy/user-friendly as Easy-PhotoPrint?? I tried to download it for Mac OS X, but it isn't supported anymore. It was simply laid out and you could change settings to make a very high-quality print. Is there a free program to do the same that anyone can suggest???? I do not like Picaso, or things like that.

Does iPhoto make prints? Ooh, I have yet to check that, but I don't think it does! I would have seen it, I'd think.

Thanks so much for your help & patience!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Where did you download it from?

It's on the AppStore and has only been up for a couple of months, so I'd be highly surprised if it isn't supported anymore.

OP
RauschIt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2011 - iPhone 5
There's an app in the app store for the iPhone, but I had the original PC version that worked on a computer. Unless I'm just a wanker, the app store on my new iMac doesn't show any search results for Easy-PhotoPrint.

I downloaded the program through a Canon site and the pop up message said it was no longer supported.. something was "no longer supported."

Update: "PowerPc applications are no longer supported." so says the popup

OP
RauschIt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2011 - iPhone 5
I just switched from PC and was using the amazing program Easy-PhotoPrint. I have yet to find a program on my new iMac that can print high quality shots like I did with my PC. I just did a test print with iPhoto and the result is quite pathetic. I don't even see any settings for high-quality vs. basic quality. And my photo has lines all over it. (Yes, duh, my printer is operating fine.) I've been using my Canon for YEARS to make BEAUTIFUL, TOP-NOTCH prints and what I'm seeing now is garbage. Where are you, Mac Easy-PhotoPrint?? :-(

A helpful hint, anyone?
Thank you :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 in 2.7GHz intel Core i5 16 gb a 4S iPhone 16gb and 2 iPod Touch
Don't know the answer, but I am also interested in an answer. So here is a friendly 'bump'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I've never tried printing directly from iPhoto, but that's probably because I don't like iPhoto. That said, I suspect it's got to do with color management from within iPhoto, or a lack thereof. I've uninstalled it, so I can't see what the preference selections are but... try going into preferences and looking for something related to "color management", and then try assigning said color management duties to your printer rather than have iPhoto take up the task.

OR.. if it's already that way, then try the opposite. I'll look for my install disk and reinstall iPhoto to have a look.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Argh, can't find my original install disks! Tore my house apart looking for them too! But I did find my wife's disks and install iPhoto back on hers. The option is in Preferences, and I believe is to un-check the colorsync option. But that's probably only part of the equation. The important part is making sure that the editor you're using (iPhoto in this case) is color managed.

Since it seems like iPhoto is doing a shoddy job (likely because of incompatible printer drivers), try getting the printer to solely manage the color profile. Hopefully someone else will be able to chime in here?

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Doug...I appreciate the help, even tho not my thread. I have an Artisan 835 and let IT handle the colours. Even WITH the correct drivers for mac, it seems not as vibrant as my pc, which I used PaintShopPro 7 and 8.

BRIAN

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I just switched from PC and was using the amazing program Easy-PhotoPrint. I have yet to find a program on my new iMac that can print high quality shots like I did with my PC. I just did a test print with iPhoto and the result is quite pathetic. I don't even see any settings for high-quality vs. basic quality. And my photo has lines all over it. (Yes, duh, my printer is operating fine.) I've been using my Canon for YEARS to make BEAUTIFUL, TOP-NOTCH prints and what I'm seeing now is garbage. Where are you, Mac Easy-PhotoPrint?? :-(

A helpful hint, anyone?
Thank you :)

Hi,
This printing error is common if you are inadvertently printing to photo paper with plain paper settings.

The printer preference pane may not be giving you any options to print on photo paper if the correct driver is not installed. You can usually download them from the manufacturers website or use the original Mac specific install disc for your printer if you still have it.

I would recommend that you also clean the printheads and run a test page but the utility/diagnostics usually are part of the driver software.

Also you may have contaminated electrical contacts on the printer cartridges, these can easily be cleaned if you remove them, but this is less common.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Doug...I appreciate the help, even tho not my thread. I have an Artisan 835 and let IT handle the colours. Even WITH the correct drivers for mac, it seems not as vibrant as my pc, which I used PaintShopPro 7 and 8.

BRIAN

Not the fault of the Mac. It's a known fact that Epson dropped the ball in terms of providing driver support for Apple computers. This is a big reason as to why I won't purchase an consumer grade Epson.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not the fault of the Mac. It's a known fact that Epson dropped the ball in terms of providing driver support for Apple computers. This is a big reason as to why I won't purchase an consumer grade Epson.

Doug

Hey Doug....according to this, Epson America, Inc. - Support: Mac OS X Snow Leopard Support Epson is supporting Snow Leopard. The install disk that came with my Artisan printer had mac drivers on it
That is the only reason I bought it
:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Just to add my two penn'eth (2 cents worth for the US). I, and I'm sure most people here who have tried, have produced excellent prints from iPhoto. Never had to change a thing. Apple found my printer (Epson R300) without me telling it anything and prints perfectly. We gave up trying to get my wife's Toshiba and Dell laptops to even recognise the printers existance and bought her a macbook instead. Problem solved. Another one for Apple I think.

OP
RauschIt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2011 - iPhone 5
My iPhoto pics (no matter the settings) are still garbage, but ALAS...

I found an older version of the Easy-PhotoPrint EX on the Canon website and even though it's for OS like 10.2 or something, I tried to instal and it's wonderful. The layout is quite different from the PC version, but it's the same thing.

I am still testing prints with iPhoto vs. Easy PP, so maybe I still haven't found the right settings yet. My MP600 made top-notch prints with my PC.. my problem isn't the printer.. it's the app! Yay.

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Cons...x?DLtcmuri=tcm:14-852514&page=1&type=download

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I've merged your duplicate threads.

Reaction score
Another thing that could be causing the bad prints from iPhoto could be the type of photo paper being used. I bought my Epson printer because in a side by side print comparison is was better than the HP I was also considering. Had no problems with it on my PC, or when I copied photos for a photo project for a friend. I made some prints of pictures I took for my Mom from iPhoto, and I wasn't happy with the quality even though I was using Kodak paper. It was only their 3 star version so I decided to see if the paper would make a difference. I bought premium Epson glossy paper and printed several photos tonight, they came out great. So it may be worth while to change your photo paper.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Another thing that could be causing the bad prints from iPhoto could be the type of photo paper being used. I bought my Epson printer because in a side by side print comparison is was better than the HP I was also considering. Had no problems with it on my PC, or when I copied photos for a photo project for a friend. I made some prints of pictures I took for my Mom from iPhoto, and I wasn't happy with the quality even though I was using Kodak paper. It was only their 3 star version so I decided to see if the paper would make a difference. I bought premium Epson glossy paper and printed several photos tonight, they came out great. So it may be worth while to change your photo paper.

It's always a good idea to use the same brand of paper,inks etc for your printer. Less problems in the long run.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.