ibook 14" v pbook 15"

M

mr_silly

I will be shortly be buying one or the other of these. While I have read the specs for each, I wanted to know what difference these actually made in reality. When I finally do purchase, I will be getting the top configuration ie max ram, best graphics card,biggest HD etc. Price is not a concern, I just want the best I can buy.

My main thought seems to be that the advantage of the ibook is WiFi reception and heat dissapation.

I only use my laptops for email, word processing, music, web surfing, PDF's and games. I dont really do any photo or video editing, my wife does all this on her computer.

To be honest, the heaviest use that my laptop does is playing games in boring hotel rooms which is why I always go for the most tricked out systems. I am not necessarily interested in playing the latest games, just enough to amuse me mid travel.

Should the heat of the powerbook be a concern? Would I have to let the pbook cool down or can I just grap it and run? Should this be enough of a consideration to go with the ibook?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
if you can afford the PowerBook then dont even consider the iBook.

While the iBook is an amazing machine the PowerBook is in a different league IMO. While you wont do anything really taxing on it the games will play alot better and you can also have a higher screen resolution then the iBook.

Id also advise you get the RAM from else where as apple's prices are stupid and updating the RAM yourself DOESNT invalidate the warrenty and you will save yourself a packet doing it yourself.

Also the heat dissapation is better on the PB as you can use the PB with the lid closed and you cant on the iBook. So while the PB does get hotter i wouldnt lable it as a concern and deffinately pick a PB up

Reaction score
inflexion said:
if you can afford the PowerBook then dont even consider the iBook.

I agree, the 15in Powerbook is overall just a better system than a 14in iBook.

OP
J

jn4jenny

I'm going to dissent here and say that you might want to weigh the iBook more carefully. And this is coming from someone who owns a Powerbook, so you know that I'm not just an iBook cheerleader.

Based on your description, gaming and video are low priorities for you and your graphic design needs are zero. As any Apple employee will tell you, there is only one difference between an iBook and a Powerbook with the same specs: graphics power. And chances are that you won't even notice that difference unless you're a Photoshop/Premiere/Garage Band user.

So given that, the only reason you have to move up to the Powerbook is that you want the "best." But let's look at the maximum tricked out 14" iBook versus the maximum tricked out 15" PB:

iBook:
1.42 Ghz processor, 1.5 GB RAM, 100 GB Hard Drive, 8x SuperDrive, and AppleCare, arguably more durable than the Powerbook.
Price before tax: $1998

Powerbook:
1.67 Ghz processor, 2.0 GB RAM, 120 GB Hard Drive, 8x SuperDrive, AppleCare, and arguably better graphics capability than an iBook.
Price before tax: $3048

So when it comes down to it, we're talking about a thousand bucks extra for a 150Mhz faster processor, 512MB of RAM, 20 extra gigs of hard drive space, and an ever-so-slightly-bigger screen. If price is truly no object, then it doesn't matter; but $1050 is a lot to pay for those somewhat puny upgrades over the iBook specs. The only thing there that would make me pause is the RAM, because more RAM always equals more speed in a Mac. But still, 1.5GB is still a ton of RAM. I'd say to think about it a little harder, because the iBook is definitely capable of what you're going to ask it to do, and it's definitely more durable than a Powerbook.

OP
L

lil

Of course if graphics are what you need, then the 128MB ATI Radeon 9700 in the PBook 15" will thump the iBook 14" big time. Also the DVI output and now on the new PowerBooks with optical audio support, firewire 800, and a PC-Card slot, things start to add up a little bit more to make the extra money worthwhile.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
but in the original post he stated that he will play games on it, may be chess or halo who knows but id still recommend the PB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I am a powerbook owner, and I am glad that I went powerbook.. my good friends sister has a 14 inch ibook and i have the 15 inch powerbook, and there is so much more space on my screen, and its just so much more confortable to use..
Some things powerbook has that ibook doesnt.
Better graphics card
PC Card slot
firewire 800
illuminated keyboard (i would pay the extra money for this alone ;) )
ability to use it with the lid closed
dvi output
ability to do screen spanning not jsut mirroring
a few more minor things...

OP
S

sursuciofla

A penny saved is a penny earned. I wouldn't just get something to just get it I would have to have some need for it imo. I mean Jaguar is a Ford company and Acura is Honda if you get my drift. I mean if you like what one or the other offers then get it but I wouldn't just get something just because.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" G4 iBook 512k, 60gb, 4 widgets.
I agonized over the choice- and it started by visiting a Dell site, and ultimately, picking every possible upgrade in specing a new Dell laptop before waking up to what Apple offered.

From what I read, as someone just jumping in the water with a notebook, the iBook (14") just seemed to be a great value. As the previous writer stated, a penny saved is a penny, well- saved.

So far, I'm not disappointed. The extra $$ saved can be, if need be, applied to a future purchase of a more powerful notebook- but frankly, for $1199 (through Amazon), my new iBook is surpisingly fantastic.

If you have a definate need for more power- by all means get it. However, I began to feel like I would be (to continue the car analogy) be paying for, say, a V8 engine upgrade in a truck when I won't be towing anything greater than the V6 will accomodate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
jn4jenny said:
I'm going to dissent here and say that you might want to weigh the iBook more carefully. And this is coming from someone who owns a Powerbook, so you know that I'm not just an iBook cheerleader.

Based on your description, gaming and video are low priorities for you and your graphic design needs are zero. As any Apple employee will tell you, there is only one difference between an iBook and a Powerbook with the same specs: graphics power. And chances are that you won't even notice that difference unless you're a Photoshop/Premiere/Garage Band user.

So given that, the only reason you have to move up to the Powerbook is that you want the "best." But let's look at the maximum tricked out 14" iBook versus the maximum tricked out 15" PB:

iBook:
1.42 Ghz processor, 1.5 GB RAM, 100 GB Hard Drive, 8x SuperDrive, and AppleCare, arguably more durable than the Powerbook.
Price before tax: $1998

Powerbook:
1.67 Ghz processor, 2.0 GB RAM, 120 GB Hard Drive, 8x SuperDrive, AppleCare, and arguably better graphics capability than an iBook.
Price before tax: $3048

So when it comes down to it, we're talking about a thousand bucks extra for a 150Mhz faster processor, 512MB of RAM, 20 extra gigs of hard drive space, and an ever-so-slightly-bigger screen. If price is truly no object, then it doesn't matter; but $1050 is a lot to pay for those somewhat puny upgrades over the iBook specs. The only thing there that would make me pause is the RAM, because more RAM always equals more speed in a Mac. But still, 1.5GB is still a ton of RAM. I'd say to think about it a little harder, because the iBook is definitely capable of what you're going to ask it to do, and it's definitely more durable than a Powerbook.

You're also paying that extra money for a MUCH higher resolution (I'm sorry, but 1024x768 is pathetic by today's standards), a much brighter screen, the backlit keyboard, the PC card slot, the optical digital audio in/out, faster RAM, Gigabit Ethernet, FireWire 800, Dual DVI out, and a DOUBLE LAYER SuperDrive. And it's not "arguably" better graphics. the ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 128MB of video RAM completely blows away a 9550 with only 32MB of video RAM. Then there's the fact that not only is the processor's clockspeed faster, but so is the frontside bus. And don't undersetimate the durability of the 15-inch PowerBook. It may not be **** near bullet proof like the iBook, but it can take a beating from what I hear (supposedly some soldier used a PowerBook out in the Midddle East under conditions that made all other laptops there fail). The 17-inch is probably less durable due to how thin it is, though (which I have, lol). I'm sorry, but I think that now more than ever the 15-inch PowerBook is a great deal.

OP
L

lil

It would seem it does come down to an issue of what one can afford.

Drawing some conclusions:

- Both notebooks, the iBook and PowerBook are excellent.

- The PowerBook might be better technically but it doesn't make the iBook inferior or a bad product, it's a different product.

- In fact when you start comparing to PC notebooks you will see the iBooks are in fact incredibly good value for money considering you are getting a very well engineered laptop.

- The PowerBooks have enough features to differentiate themselves from their comparable iBook alternative to warrant the extra cost.

From this I can say that either the iBook or PowerBook will satisfy your needs, but chances are the PowerBook may have a bit more longevity technology wise.

I'd still go for the PowerBook personally, as I prefer the anodised aluminium look, and not only that, but whilst the iBook has a good keyboard compared to many notebooks, the PowerBook is a dream to type on. Something I value very highly with a notebook considering I used them as my main computer, and if I get frustrated when I type, the game is over. (~80-85wpm typing speed so I need a good keyboard!)

Whichever choice you make, it'll be the right one since it's a Mac :flower:

Vicky :flower:

OP
L

Larryo

mr_silly said:
I will be shortly be buying one or the other of these. While I have read the specs for each, I wanted to know what difference these actually made in reality. When I finally do purchase, I will be getting the top configuration ie max ram, best graphics card,biggest HD etc. Price is not a concern, I just want the best I can buy.

My main thought seems to be that the advantage of the ibook is WiFi reception and heat dissapation.

I only use my laptops for email, word processing, music, web surfing, PDF's and games. I dont really do any photo or video editing, my wife does all this on her computer.

To be honest, the heaviest use that my laptop does is playing games in boring hotel rooms which is why I always go for the most tricked out systems. I am not necessarily interested in playing the latest games, just enough to amuse me mid travel.

Should the heat of the powerbook be a concern? Would I have to let the pbook cool down or can I just grap it and run? Should this be enough of a consideration to go with the ibook?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I've got both. I had an IBook and upgraded to the PB. For what you're doing, I'd lean toward a refurbished IBook from the Mac Store. A lot of machine for what you're doing.

If you really need more speed, and better graphics, the PBook will make a difference, but at a price of 50% to double. It will also do a lot of things the IBook won't.

I'm in the graphic business and the IBook did a LOT of my graphics. However, it's not the main machine, our desk machines are, so it was used for what it was intended....a portable. It still did a lot of high end word, but couldn't have a whole bunch of apps open at once, and was a bit limited in speed.

Larryo

OP
M

mr_silly

Thanks to everyone who replied. After all this, I think I will splash out on the powerbook. It was only the heat and wifi reception that was making me think ibook anyway.

I look forward to joining the mac world and Im sure I will have alot of questions to ask you guys once I get stuck!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.