What's my admin password???

Reaction score
Hello all,
Sorry for this basic question.
I just switched to Mac from PC. This is my first iMac with Lion.
I am trying to install Microsoft Office for Mac and the Installer is asking for a password.
I don't have an admin password - none is required to boot up.
I have tried clicking with no password, "password", "admin", "administrator", my iTunes password.

I though Macs were supposed to be hassle free?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

No one (as far as I know) said ANY computer is "hassle free"!!!

Many times it's the users that make things complicated as well...as in "user error"!;) Admin passwords just don't make themselves up out of thin air!;)

Is this a brand new computer...or one that is "new" to you? If it's a "new to you" computer...the previous owner may have set up an admin password.

Have you tried entering no password (leave it blank)?

HTH, :)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
No one (as far as I know) said ANY computer is "hassle free"!!!

Many times it's the users that make things complicated as well...as in "user error"!;) Admin passwords just don't make themselves up out of thin air!;)

Is this a brand new computer...or one that is "new" to you? If it's a "new to you" computer...the previous owner may have set up an admin password.

Have you tried entering no password (leave it blank)?

HTH, :)

- Nick

Brand new.
I tried no password.
I know it will never be hassle free - just frustrated that the first thing I try to do out of the box is a stopper.
Thanks for looking at my post. And trying to respond

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If this is the default account (the one setup during your first boot), it's your user password.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

There's a certain amount of 'know-how' required for any tool you want to use - that is as true for a hammer as it is for a computer. In this case - it's fundamental - you need to know and remember your admin password. Once you get it sorted - make sure it's something you cannot forget.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
To add to what "Vansmith" mentioned.

When you initially setup you computer (the very first time you booted it)...you had to enter a bunch of into. During that process you setup your "default/admin" account (like Vansmith mentioned)...and if you setup a password during this process...then that is the password that you need to use when installing software.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Xeon 6gb DDR2 1TB OSX Server
I keep this on hand in a doc, this will allow you to reset the admin password:

Boot into single user mode (press Command-S at power on) at the command prompt type in the following press enter after each line:

Code:
Username$ fsck -fy
Username$ mount -uw /
Username$ launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist
Username$ dscl . -passwd /Users/username password
Replacing username with the targeted user and password with the desired password.

Reboot the machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.