Help, I bricked my macbook...

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro 8,2 with OSX Lion. I've been trying to configure a dual-boot set up, and I think I screwed up my partitioning. Now, when it powers on I get a blank white screen, and no combination of keys seems to do anything. I've got a DVD in the drive, but it's not bootable, and the eject key isn't ejecting the DVD.

Is there anything I can do with this thing?? Starting with - is there a way to forcibly eject the DVD? I don't see a little pinhole anywhere ;)

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Is there anything I can do with this thing?? Starting with - is there a way to forcibly eject the DVD? I don't see a little pinhole anywhere ;)

Thanks!

Yes restart your Mac and hold down the mouse button or the trackpad and this should forcibly eject the DVD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
llci to Mac Pro "26 Kids" all named Mac
I have a macbook pro 8,2 with OSX Lion. I've been trying to configure a dual-boot set up, and I think I screwed up my partitioning. Now, when it powers on I get a blank white screen, and no combination of keys seems to do anything. I've got a DVD in the drive, but it's not bootable, and the eject key isn't ejecting the DVD.

Thanks!

Try to power up and Zap PRAM "Option, Command, P, R" held till you get three chimes then hold the "Shift Key" and see if you can do a safe start.

OP
E
Reaction score
Sadly, neither worked. I've tried holding down the eject and f12 keys; along with the track pad. No joy.

I flashed the PRAM - while holding down the keys the system restarted & chimed 3 times. But, it still comes back to a blank white screen & doesn't do anything. Holding shift at power-on doesn't do anything; nor does holding any other key(s) - except the PRAM reset as already mentioned. It stubbornly continues to power on to a blank white screen.

Any other help would be appreciated. Is there any kind of shell available for the EFI, like there used to be for open firmware?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
llci to Mac Pro "26 Kids" all named Mac
Sadly, neither worked. I've tried holding down the eject and f12 keys; along with the track pad. No joy.

I flashed the PRAM - while holding down the keys the system restarted & chimed 3 times. But, it still comes back to a blank white screen & doesn't do anything. Holding shift at power-on doesn't do anything; nor does holding any other key(s) - except the PRAM reset as already mentioned. It stubbornly continues to power on to a blank white screen.

Any other help would be appreciated. Is there any kind of shell available for the EFI, like there used to be for open firmware?

Well this is a long shot, remove the RAM chips clean the slots with a residue free contact cleaner. and reseat them also if you can try to boot with an external HDD via option key, TDM via "T" key, or DVD via option key.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.