Rescuing Mac Mail box

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G4 800Mhz
My iMac has dies and while I am trying to get it running, I wanted to know my options to recover email files.

I have a full back up of the iMac (profiles included) so can get the raw apple mail files. I would like to recover them to Thunderbird as this is what is running on my Windows PC; i do not have another 'spare' Mac to restore to!

So, the question is; how can I import Apple Mail fies into Thunderbird running on Windows without processing the files on a Mac?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Without the iMac running there's no way to export the mail so as to import into Thunderbird. I'm assuming you were not using the Mac version of Thunderbird for mail? If you were, you could easily move the files to the PC and import.

Another possibility, depending on your ISP, is that the mail may still be on the server and can be re-downloaded if you haven't deleted them or chose the option to remove from server in Mac Mail. GMail for example will keep gigabytes of mail on the server if so desired.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac G4 800Mhz
Fixed!

As I said, I do have the raw mail files as a back up. I was struggling getting the Mac Mail into a format that I could import.

Found this utility: http://www.cosmicsoft.net/emlxconvert.html which just works and I have been able to drop the resultant files into the Thunderbird folder and it just picked them up as a new mail folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.