• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple confirms no current plans to bring Siri to older devices

Reaction score
Apple confirms no current plans to bring Siri to older devices

Apple's engineering unit has reportedly confirmed that the company currently has "no plans" to support its Siri personal assistant feature on older devices, according to a person familiar with the matter.
mf.gif

Read more

Reaction score
I wonder what makes the iPhone 4S so special that it and only it has Siri? A5 chip??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
Well, Apple need some argument to sell the iPhone 4S I assume. A new camera and faster CPU is not enough. This is where Siri comes in ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Now that is exceptional marketing.
Watch out for the JB community.
Because they have found a way around it, there will be a huge number of iP4 users going that route i reckon, then watch the influx of problems from noobs not knowing what there doing and have bricked or stuffed up there beloved phone lol

Siri has even been viewed as threat to Google because it may circumvent traditional search engine queries, thereby cutting into Google's bread-and-butter ad business. Google Chairman Eric Schmidt even admitted that Siri could pose a "competitive threat" to the company, though it was in his own interests to do so, as he was writing to the U.S. Senate's anti-trust subcommittee.

Love it. Bite on that GOOGLE lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Love it. Bite on that GOOGLE lol

People keep taking Eric's quote out of context. He portrayed Siri as a "threat" at a Congressional hearing where he was trying to prove that Google wasn't a monopoly employing dirty anti-competitive tactics. He cited Siri and Bing as examples of competitive threats to strengthen his position, not to whine about them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
People keep taking Eric's quote out of context. He portrayed Siri as a "threat" at a Congressional hearing where he was trying to prove that Google wasn't a monopoly employing dirty anti-competitive tactics. He cited Siri and Bing as examples of competitive threats to strengthen his position, not to whine about them.

I don't think i am taking anything out of context. The bottom line is, if people use Siri to ask where a restaurant is and doesn't use Google to find a restaurant then Google is losing out of ad revenue. Thats where I'm coming from.
My mistake as using that as the quotation, so ill chuck in this quotation from Nigam Arora via the viewed as a threat imbedded link at the bottom of the article.
Hope that explains things better.

Cheers

Reaction score
Well if Apple modernized all their old products, there would be no reason for people to buy the new products every first and third quarter of the year lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Exactly - good point.

Reaction score
Total business decision. Hype the **** out of Siri (which is awesome btw) and then promote that it can only be had by using the 4s. It forces your hand. If they make it back compatible, you will stay with the 4 most often. CPU companies have been doing it forever.

Verne

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP 8GB RAM 640GB HDD
Question related to this thread. How was siri before the iPhone 4 S? Apple bought it, made it prettier, and used it to promote the 4 S, but did the functionality change much since they started limiting it to the 4 S?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Apple has no current plans… key word is "current". They are on record as stating that Siri is in beta testing, and so far they have had a couple service outages. It does stand to reason that they want to limit Siri to the iPhone 4S more so they can limit the hit on the data center while they work out any bugs and service issues that may arise. If they had allowed Siri on even so much as just the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 out the gate, it'd likely be a mess. That's got to be something like 10x more devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I have been waiting to see if people are going to get it working on jailbroken iphones then that might be a reason to do it. I am really thinking about getting the iphone 4s mainly because of siri and dictation. I would really like it if apple added it to the 4. They have sold enough 4s's it is time to bring it to the 4.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.