My Mac Mini Desktop is Empty

Reaction score
My Mac Mini Desktop is Empty. It couldn't show any icon & Finder. I try to re-install but it wont detect my CD rom. i also cant open the starup disk because desktop wont show the finder. Anyone can help me?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The first thing you need to do is resolve the problem with your DVD drive. If the install DVD can't be read you have no way of trouble shooting the machine. Check the DVD to see if it's scratched or damaged. Your optical drive could also be defective and that's why the disk can't be read. Try cleaning the drive with a can of compressed air by blowing several blasts of air into the drive.

OP
Z
Reaction score
My DVD drive is function. Just my desktop is cannot show any finder, icon & etc. Mean i cannot open any software, any finder....my desktop is totally blank except the dock.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I try to re-install but it wont detect my CD rom.

You said the above in your first post, but now you say that your CD drive is functioning. Either your install DVD is the problem or it's the drive. You need to use your install DVD to boot the machine so as to run Disk Utility and check the hard drive.

You could try booting into Single User mode if your DVD is not working. Do this: Restart the machine and hold down the S key. When you get a prompt, type this in and press enter: FSCK -fy That will do a verify and repair on the hard drive in non-interactive mode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You said the above in your first post, but now you say that your CD drive is functioning. Either your install DVD is the problem or it's the drive. You need to use your install DVD to boot the machine so as to run Disk Utility and check the hard drive.

I think because of the broken english the OP means (or more so what i took from it) is there drive works but won't recognise there Install DVD ?? Maybe I'm wrong.
@OP as chscag mentioned look for scratches and damage to your Install media.

Cheers

OP
Z
Reaction score
I think because of the broken english the OP means (or more so what i took from it) is there drive works but won't recognise there Install DVD ?? Maybe I'm wrong.
@OP as chscag mentioned look for scratches and damage to your Install media.

Cheers

><...yes, my English is bad. But thx to you all. The problem is settle already;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.