Keylogger Search Finds In iTunesMusicLibrary.xml

Reaction score
I searched my computer for the names of several keylogger and trojan horse programs, and the iTunes Music Library.xml files comes up as positive. But when I search the iTunes Music Library.xml file for those same names, there is nothing returned (the typed-in name isn't in the file).

First, why does iTunes Music Library.xml come back as a "hit" from my search - what does that mean?

Second, why doesn't the same search within that iTunes Music Library.xml file return anything?

NOTE: Names that show iTunes Music Library.xml as a positive "hit" from the search are:
Agent Bob
Super Save
Invisible Oasis
Mac Defender

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to the forums.
1st question is, what circumstances arose for you to check for key loggers?
2nd do you have any AV running what so ever ??

Now i come to the list.
Mac Defender is a well know and the latest malware to hit our Macs. If it is there and you got it somehow then here is a way to get rid of it from your system.

How to avoid or remove Mac Defender malware.
Within that article Apple has released a security update that will automatically find and remove the threat.
HTH somewhat

Cheers

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on MAC Defender.

To answer your question, the reason I was searching for Keyloggers or Trojan Horses was (is) because sometimes my internet connection runs exceedingly slowly. I connect using my iPhone as a modem, so it is likely that my carrier is putting a governor on my data speed. But I was checking for Keyloggers and Trojan Horses just to eliminate the possibility.

Also, there is often a humungous data upload and download when I start my browser (usually Google Chrome).

To answer your other question, no, I do not run any AV software whatsoever.

Does this help you to offer any more guidance?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
You might try a different browser also run a speed test.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks TattooedMac for the Mac Defender link. I went there and I don't have it.

Thanks MoTM for the different browser and speed test tip. I'll do both.

But my primary question remains: Why does my word search for several keyloggers return the iTunesMusicLibrary.xml file?

And why does a word search within that file return nothing?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.