iCloud on Snow Leopard: any workarounds yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GiB RAM, 80 GiB hard drive, Intel GMA 950, SuperDrive
It seems so ridiculous to me that Apple would release an iCloud syncing option for Windows before they make it even remotely compatible with Snow Leopard! The iCloud.com uploading/downloading system is a joke. To keep my work in sync between my Mac and my Mac, I have to save the document to Dropbox on my Mac, open Dropbox on my iPad, find the document, "Open In... Pages", make whatever changes, then export the document back to iTunes, open iTunes on my Mac, go to iPad/Apps/Pages, save the document to Dropbox (overwriting the existing file), and repeat...ad infinitum. I have different versions of documents floating all over the place, but this is still slightly easier than the manual uploading and downloading to iCloud.com!

Is there any word on when/if Apple will support Snow Leopard, or maybe a third-party Dropbox-like workaround? I really want to love iCloud! Sure, I could upgrade to Lion, but I'm afraid it would slow down my ageing Mac too much to be worth it.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
No iCloud support on Snow Leopard rant

I'm amazed there aren't any responses to your post, I completely agree with your issue.

I for one don't appreciate being forced into upgrading to Lion in order to get iCloud features.
I own a MacBook Pro, a Mac Pro, iPhone4, iPad2, and an iPod Touch.
With the current situation, in order to take advantage of the iCloud features I have to upgrade my Snow Leopard to Lion.
Thanks Apple for your loyalty to your customers. Even users of Windows Vista are treated better than we are. (there's iCloud functionality for Vista)

For most people who only use their Macs for trivial day to day tasks it's hard to imagine that one wouldn't spend the $29 to upgrade to Lion.
In fact, there are many and varied reasons that prevent an individual from upgrading. My personal 4 are;
1. I'm quite happy with my Adobe CS4 Master suite; if I were to upgrade to Lion I'd have to spend $2400 to get my full functionality back with CS5.5
2. I have a very nice, not too old, Samsung Color laser printer. Apple chose to "update" the printer driver architecture in Lion. Who can blame printer manufacturers for refusing to continue to develop printers to support the ever changing printer architecture imposed by Apple.
3. My VMWare works fine, thank you very much. These companies must be colluding in order to continue to sell "upgrades" to their products. I would have to, yet again, upgrade my VMWare to get a version supported to work on Lion.
4. I tried a few of the Lion betas and did a trial install of Lion. I found the performance much slower and buggy. I switched back within the day.

OP
mknightretke
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GiB RAM, 80 GiB hard drive, Intel GMA 950, SuperDrive
Exactly! It's not just a $29 upgrade. For me, it would require buying extra RAM, as well as iWork '09, iLife '11, and Photoshop 10, just to meet Lion's minimum requirements and to continue doing what I'm doing now. In total, upgrading to Lion would cost me somewhere in the range of $300. And from what I've heard, my Mac would end up running slower.

No thanks, Apple. I'll spend $300 when, and only when, the software and hardware I have now no longer supports my needs. Right now, my only unsupported need is iCloud syncing, and if you're going to withhold that to try and force me into upgrading... well, maybe I'll suck it up and dual-boot Windows. Cause you support that, right? :rolls eyes:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, OS 10.7.4
First, I suggest you stop complaining about Apple and focus on how to solve your issues. These syncing issues have nothing to do with being a loyal Apple customer.

I have a new iPhone 4S, a MacBook Pro and a MacBook both with Snow Leopard (10.6.8). I had no problem syncing my Google email accounts with my phone and do not need iCloud for that. But I had a lot of problems trying to sync my Contacts and Calendars. After much experimenting and hours on the phone with a senior Apple tech support guy, I was able to sync my two Calendars (work & home). I have only partially solved the Contacts syncing issue.

First, contrary to what people are hearing, iCloud actually does work with Snow Leopard, at least partially. You can create an iCloud account via your iPhone or iPad and iTunes will recognize that you are syncing via iCloud.

Second, I could not get calendar syncing to work between iCal and iCloud. However, I was able to get my calendars to sync by using BusyCal <http://www.busymac.com/index.html>. It uses iCal's database, but is a much better calendar and has the capability to sync with iCloud. It is not free.

Third, I can get my Contacts to sync between my laptop, iPhone and iCloud mostly. Based on the Apple tech guy's suggestions, I am syncing my iPhone with iCloud wirelessly and my contacts "mostly" match up. The laptop / iCloud connection happens via USB cable through iTunes and is not as reliable. The Apple Tech guy confirmed this approach "should" work. He said the master list of contacts would now be stored on iCloud and "should" be syncing with my laptop and iPhone. And it does, almost. My contacts are is mostly in sync. It's not perfect... yet. I'm still working on it.

Reaction score
iCal iCloud Workaround

First, I suggest you stop complaining about Apple and focus on how to solve your issues. These syncing issues have nothing to do with being a loyal Apple customer.

I have a new iPhone 4S, a MacBook Pro and a MacBook both with Snow Leopard (10.6.8). I had no problem syncing my Google email accounts with my phone and do not need iCloud for that. But I had a lot of problems trying to sync my Contacts and Calendars. After much experimenting and hours on the phone with a senior Apple tech support guy, I was able to sync my two Calendars (work & home). I have only partially solved the Contacts syncing issue.

First, contrary to what people are hearing, iCloud actually does work with Snow Leopard, at least partially. You can create an iCloud account via your iPhone or iPad and iTunes will recognize that you are syncing via iCloud.

Second, I could not get calendar syncing to work between iCal and iCloud. However, I was able to get my calendars to sync by using BusyCal <http://www.busymac.com/index.html>. It uses iCal's database, but is a much better calendar and has the capability to sync with iCloud. It is not free.

Third, I can get my Contacts to sync between my laptop, iPhone and iCloud mostly. Based on the Apple tech guy's suggestions, I am syncing my iPhone with iCloud wirelessly and my contacts "mostly" match up. The laptop / iCloud connection happens via USB cable through iTunes and is not as reliable. The Apple Tech guy confirmed this approach "should" work. He said the master list of contacts would now be stored on iCloud and "should" be syncing with my laptop and iPhone. And it does, almost. My contacts are is mostly in sync. It's not perfect... yet. I'm still working on it.

Go into iCal prefs, click the "+" button, select CalDav, enter your iCloud username and password...then, you will need to add the following server address:
p06-caldav.icloud.com

And in the "Refresh Calendars," select "Push."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.