Jaguar to Tiger upgrade on old iBook

Reaction score
I have an old iBook G3 Dual USB 12" that is running 10.2 (Jaguar). I would like to use it just for connecting to the web, but the original Airport card doesn't support WPA2. I can get a 3rd party wireless network adapter that supports WPA2, but I need at least 10.4 (Tiger) running in order to use it. I can't upgrade to Leopard, Snow Leopard, or Lion because my machine is too old and it has a PowerPC processor.

So, I need to get 10.4 (Tiger) running on this. Is Tiger still available? Is it free to update from Jaguar to Tiger? Where do I get Tiger?

Thanks!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How much RAM (Memory) is in that old iBook G3 Dual USB? Also, does it have a DVD drive? Most Tiger OSX came on a DVD instead of a CD. You should have at least 512 Megs RAM or Tiger might be painful.

Just checked LowEndMac and a 512 Meg DIMM would give you 576 or 640 MB depending on how much RAM is soldered to the Logic Board. Some came with 64 Megs and others with 128. Also there was a DVD drive with some of them.

12" iBook G3/500 (Dual USB)

I would search Ebay. If you have just a CD ROM drive, there was a version of Tiger that came on CD's. Search for that when you look on ebay for Tiger.

OP
P
Reaction score
How much RAM (Memory) is in that old iBook G3 Dual USB? Also, does it have a DVD drive? Most Tiger OSX came on a DVD instead of a CD. You should have at least 512 Megs RAM or Tiger might be painful.

It has 640 MB of RAM and a DVD drive. Since Tiger is so old, is there a chance that Apple offers the upgrade for free?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Great on the Ram and DVD drive. You are set I guess.

No on a free upgrade. Apple does not do that and I doubt Microsoft does either. Linux is free though but you probably know that. :D

Ebay is probably going to be your best source. BUT BE SURE you do not get a GRAY Tiger OSX DVD. Those are Machine Specific and only work with the exact model they are shipped with. You need a Black Full Retail Tiger for your iBook!!

Most I have seen in a brief search on Ebay are $50 or more but this one looks promising.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mac-OS-X-Ti...ultDomain_0&hash=item415f1fee50#ht_648wt_1390

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.