Constant pinwheel on top right corner

Reaction score
I own a Mac OS X and, after having changed the graphics card and taking it to the assistance I now have another problem. Every time I point the arrow to the top right corner (in other words the "line" on top, where there's the date, sound, search button, network and all the icons) it turns into the pinwheel and I can't do anything. However if I point it on any other place of that top line it works normally, only when I point it at the icons it turns into a pinwheel.
Does anybody know any method to solve this?
Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I own a Mac OS X and, after having changed the graphics card and taking it to the assistance I now have another problem. Every time I point the arrow to the top right corner (in other words the "line" on top, where there's the date, sound, search button, network and all the icons) it turns into the pinwheel and I can't do anything. However if I point it on any other place of that top line it works normally, only when I point it at the icons it turns into a pinwheel.
Does anybody know any method to solve this?
Thank you in advance.

Over the spotlight icon?? Is this a constant thing, or just random?

OP
D
Reaction score
It's been constant since a few days already. I tried switching it off and on again but nothing, also tried to restart the Finder but nothing seems to work.

OP
D
Reaction score
I just ran a Disk utility verification of the disk. The result is that the hard disk is damaged that the "sibling" is not valid. And that I need to start the computer with another disk (for example the installation disk of Mac OS X). The strange thing is though, that except for the pinwheel on that top right corner and my Ipod not being recognized on Itunes everything works just fine...
I'm intending to do a back up of all the data tomorrow, and then put in the disk and reinstall the operating system. Would that be the right thing to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I just ran a Disk utility verification of the disk. The result is that the hard disk is damaged that the "sibling" is not valid. And that I need to start the computer with another disk (for example the installation disk of Mac OS X). The strange thing is though, that except for the pinwheel on that top right corner and my Ipod not being recognized on Itunes everything works just fine...
I'm intending to do a back up of all the data tomorrow, and then put in the disk and reinstall the operating system. Would that be the right thing to do?

I meant to get back in here earlier and ask if you had run disk tools. I think at this point you are headed in the right direction. Post back and let us know what you find.

OP
D
Reaction score
I did what the message said however I simply got another error message. So after looking around the web for some answers I found out that the only program that seems to work most of the times is called DiskWarrior. I guess I'll give it a try. Have you heard anything about this program, has anybody used it before?

Edit: I also found out that it might work also to simply initialize the disk, for now I think I'll get back up of the data and do that since DiskWarrior costs about 100€...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Before you lash out on DiskWarrior, what was that other error message? Best if you provide details. As DiskWarrior costs $99 may well be best to put that amount towards a new drive. Use DiskWarrior as a routine maintenance program. Only tried once to bring back an SSD with bad sectors but it failed.

OP
D
Reaction score
I managed to resolve the situation by formatting the disk. I did it yesterday and I already have it almost as it was before.
So if you get an error message which says that "the sibling is not valid" the easiest and cheapest way to solve it is to format the hard disk.
However now I have to buy again Snow Leopard (and probably I'll also buy Lion)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you actually try booting from your system install disc and running Repair Disk from there prior to the format and clean install?

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah I tried but it simply gave me the same error message.. The only solution was to format the disk really, or buy DiskWarrior. Now that I formatted the disk it works perfectly, even better than before since I had installed a few annoying programs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.