• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac Forum - first place or last place to visit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
I have noticed comments since I have been a member here, both publicly within threads and privately through my negative reputation that promote me to consider the question - "Is the Mac forum the first place you visit for all information Apple or the last place you visit following unfruitful searches through numerous research sites and search engines, be it Wikipedia, Google, etc”, as I have been directed to do so.

I appreciate that time may also play a part, given that most queries I have raised have been successfully answered, on average within 36 hours of posting, which is quick given that the forum spans many time zones. If however you are in a bind and want immediate help, and you cannot wait this long, then maybe the need to look for another source first, is the way to go.

Whatever route you invariably decide to take, which one is considered the most appropriate protocol for MF?

Is it,

1 - Mac Forum search function and then thread posting should the search not be forthcoming in terms of answers, or

2 - Just dive right in with a thread (of course this does come with the risk of annoying people, see above), or

3 - 3rd party search engine first before MF 1 or/and 2.

Whilst I can understand the annoyance for ‘some’ MF members when one dives straight in, to me it does kind of defeat the purpose of the forum if you have to first extensively search the topic prior, being that MF is the platform for apple discussion, simple of detailed. I make this assumption based upon the idea that most questions will have undoubtedly been answered in some shape or form previously, save for the new products that is, and therefore self defeating if the most virgin of questions are the ones that are sought after.

I use No. 2 - the Mac Forum as the first place I visit but I would be interested to know other user thoughts so that I can address future questions in the right way.

Jon

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have noticed comments since I have been a member here, both publicly within threads and privately through my negative reputation that promote me to consider the question - "Is the Mac forum the first place you visit for all information Apple or the last place you visit following unfruitful searches through numerous research sites and search engines, be it Wikipedia, Google, etc”, as I have been directed to do so.

I appreciate that time may also play a part, given that most queries I have raised have been successfully answered, on average within 36 hours of posting, which is quick given that the forum spans many time zones. If however you are in a bind and want immediate help, and you cannot wait this long, then maybe the need to look for another source first, is the way to go.

Whatever route you invariably decide to take, which one is considered the most appropriate protocol for MF?

Is it,

1 - Mac Forum search function and then thread posting should the search not be forthcoming in terms of answers, or

2 - Just dive right in with a thread (of course this does come with the risk of annoying people, see above), or

3 - 3rd party search engine first before MF 1 or/and 2.

Whilst I can understand the annoyance for ‘some’ MF members when one dives straight in, to me it does kind of defeat the purpose of the forum if you have to first extensively search the topic prior, being that MF is the platform for apple discussion, simple of detailed. I make this assumption based upon the idea that most questions will have undoubtedly been answered in some shape or form previously, save for the new products that is, and therefore self defeating if the most virgin of questions are the ones that are sought after.

I use No. 2 - the Mac Forum as the first place I visit but I would be interested to know other user thoughts so that I can address future questions in the right way.

Jon

None of the membership here is paid, and most take the goal to provide a community of support and fellowship for Mac Users very seriously.

And, I find myself continually amazed at the patience exhibited by many of those same members who see the same question (with very little variation) asked for the 100th time.

If you have spent any length of time here (and I know that you have) you will realize the number of members who actively respond with support is not all that large. And, even if it is a relatively simple question to answer, it takes time and we all have day jobs and there are a lot of questions.

So, ask yourself this, which is more reasonable?

a) For the relatively small number of "helpers" to spend time answering multiple times the same question

or

b) For the larger number of help seekers to spend a little of their time to look through the Forum threads to see if their question has already been answered

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There's no official protocol nor should there be any given that posters have differing levels of computer competencies. We can't expect everyone to be experts at searching regardless of how simple it may seem for many of us. That said, we do encourage a little legwork on the part of the OP. Many questions have been answered - the number of unique questions only gets smaller the longer a product has been out. This is why people have questions answered quickly after a product release but are expected to do a little work if the product has been out for a while.

Expecting people to search the forums in no way defeats the purpose. The fact that the forums are not only searchable by members but by the Mac community at large is part of making information and solutions easily accessible to all. Posts remain public so that users can find it without having to wait for one of us to respond. Your concern then would only be valid if responses were private.

One thing to note is the concentration of regular users in a specific set of timezones, primarily the Americas (this is not to say though that there aren't great members outside of this area). If someone is in a bind, they will need to accommodate our lives which may mean that they have to wait or do some legwork themselves (which as I noted, they should be doing anyway).

We're all relatively patient with new users - we've all been there at some point so we can sympathize. Like anything else in life though, you can't expect others to do everything for you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I generally figure...the newer the member...the more leeway/tolerance I think there should be. Of course as a member becomes more active, understands what features the website has, and how to navigate the site...more is expected before a question is asked.

I think that many folks who are working at their computer (both novice & expert)...all of a sudden have a "bolt of lightening" strike inside their head with a question they don't know the answer to...and want an answer ASAP. Many will immediately jump onto an internet forum, and ask the question (common or uncommon).

This sort of thing ("bolt of lightening") happens to me all the time! Is my first thought to jump onto an internet forum to ask the question...no way!...why...well who knows how long it will take to get an answer...I want an answer NOW!!! So the first thing I do is do a "Google Search"...and most times (5 seconds later) I have my answer.

If I don't get an answer...or the answers seem confusing or unclear...this is when I head to my favorite "topic specific" internet forum. First I search the forums:

- FAQ section (if it has one)
- check the "Stickies"
- do a forum search

Finally...if I'm not getting a satisfactory answer...I post a question.

Remember...if a "topic specific" internet forums exists...and if it's been around a long time (like 3, 6, 9, or more years)...BELIEVE ME...most common & reoccurring questions have already been answered...and answered 100's of times!

For example (on Mac-forums)...we literally have answered the question's below 100's & 100's of times:

- "I turn on my computer, and I get a flashing "?" icon. What does this mean?"

Answer: Your computer's HD doesn't have an OS installed on it.

- "My computer won't boot from the OS disks I have...what's up?"

Answer: Are they grey/silver disks...if so...they won't work...they are model specific.

- "I spilled water on my laptop...now it won't work...what do I do?"

Answer: Don't don't consume liquids near your computer! Or...you're going to need a new logic board.

Food for thought,:)

- Nick

OP
j0nb0y32
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
None of the membership here is paid, and most take the goal to provide a community of support and fellowship for Mac Users very seriously.

And, I find myself continually amazed at the patience exhibited by many of those same members who see the same question (with very little variation) asked for the 100th time.

If you have spent any length of time here (and I know that you have) you will realize the number of members who actively respond with support is not all that large. And, even if it is a relatively simple question to answer, it takes time and we all have day jobs and there are a lot of questions.

So, ask yourself this, which is more reasonable?

a) For the relatively small number of "helpers" to spend time answering multiple times the same question

or

b) For the larger number of help seekers to spend a little of their time to look through the Forum threads to see if their question has already been answered

Razormac, very well put, thanks.

OP
j0nb0y32
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Vansmith , Pigoo3 and Razormac for that matter. Thanks for the info and advice. i appreciate that reading back it was almost a stupid question but i thought i would ask. i do agree. i guess the overall feeling is ....'get off your xxxx first and check' then post.

noted and accepted.

ps, how do i take my battery out of my MacBook?.....only joking.

Jon

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Well...with the newer "Unibody" MacBooks and MacBook Pros (with the "technically" non-user replaceable battery)...getting the battery out is not as easy as it used to be!;)

So this actually isn't a "bad/simple" question.:)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Well...with the newer "Unibody" MacBooks and MacBook Pros (with the "technically" non-user replaceable battery)...getting the battery out is not as easy as it used to be!;)

So this actually isn't a "bad/simple" question.:)

- Nick

I rather favor a hammer and a large flat-bladed screwdriver (just as long as it isn't my laptop). ;)

OP
j0nb0y32
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I rather favor a hammer and a large flat-bladed screwdriver (just as long as it isn't my laptop). ;)

well if you do, be sure to post a video so we can all watch and copy..;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Interesting thoughts.
I originally came for help with one thing (never happened by the way!) and ended up staying and helping out.
That said, I never consider it first port of call if I'm stuck. I usually Google first to be honest, but I still come here every day, but always just to see if I can help.
Now mostly I am very tolerant of new posters, but sometimes, just sometimes, I do lose it because people are too lazy to search the forum. Just recently with the whole spyware thread in fact.

Edit: Of course I use my Custom Search Engine here (thanks Brent for mentioning it ;))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Many searches for Mac related questions on the Web will inevitably lead back to this site at some point...I always appreciate the tremendous knowledge base here and read way more info. than any questions I actually have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well i use a Custom Mac Forums Google Search just like in Kevriano's Signature even before the MF search function as time and time again the MF search function is very limited and very very word specific.
Then i go to the Google for a full blown web search.
I pop in here most every day like others to see if i can help, have a chin wag and pass the night away.

Interesting OP though

Cheers

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many searches for Mac related questions on the Web will inevitably lead back to this site at some point...

Ha ha...very true!:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Jon

Go to your Bomb store and buy a Bomb and place it under your Macbook and set the timer and run. The battery for sure will come out then.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.